The new forge discrepancy download system

Da9L

Hello

I have a program that, untill lately, downloaded forge discrepancies automaticly. This doesnt work anymore, and i've noticed that this is the case for most of the programs out there that used to do this automaticly.

I've heard about something called Forge Gratel or something like that, that the new, 1.7.2, forge uses to download discrepancies. I have a few questions for this..

1. Does this work with old versions of forge, or is it only 1.7.2 and upwards?

2. If the above is true, how does the old versions of forge handle discrepancy download?

3. Is there somewhere i can get some documentation about this?

Thanks !

~D

Yes i think i might have misunderstood what Forge Gradle is about..

This program i have made is actually just running the Minecraft Forge Installer.. But the Minecraft Forge installer does not download the required libraries by it self (which im refering to as discrepancies)

Say you have a mod pack you install.. First you go to your vanilla minecraft launcher, and launch minecraft in the version the mod pack needs, so that the launcher will download all the files.. The next thing you do is to install Minecraft Forge in the version that is needed (shipped with the mod pack), and lastly you install the mods and a launcher.. This launcher (Magic Launcher) will not be able to launch minecraft because of some missing libraries.. You will now have to relaunch the minecraft vanilla launcher and edit your profile to the forge one, and launch it from there. After this you can close minecraft, and Magic Launcher will now work..

So Minecrafts Vanilla launcher is downloading some new libraries, that Magic Launcher cannot download for some reason. Earlier i made a program that would go read the json file inside the forge installer, and download the libraries listed there, and put them in the correct places (i based the code on what was in the src of forge). This was to prevent the extra step needed, after you had installed forge and the mods, where you had to go and relaunch the vanilla launcher to get the required libraries, and it has been working without problems, untill lately.

What have changed ?

Dont use Magic launcher, or atleast dont come here for shit that it does wrong, we do not support it.

it needs to download the libraries from mojang, we only download the ones that we ship with our installer and leave any that mojang ships to there installer. So ya Magic Launcher issue. Just use the vanilla launcher and youll be good. also the vanilla launcher can do anything magic launcher can if written correctly

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

hey calm down i was only using magic launcher as an example..

What iam doing is trying to write my own script to download the needed libraries, as, which you also say, magic launcher cant do .. And as i also state your old installers does not work anymore, as the code in them is using the old url to download from, which is why im doing it my own way. But if i use http://libraries.minecraft.net/ instead of https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/libraries/ it is not getting any files.

Im still using the old way of "generating" the complete url though.. Has this changed ?

All of our current launchers work fine and if youre not using recomended versions youre on your own. Not to mention the fact that downloading libraries is one of the simplest things to do. not to mention we have a open source installer youre free to use. But meh, guess we can sit here doing your research for you.. or, you know, you could think about the problem yourself as its really simple. wither way you shouldnt need to use any external launcher. Just use mojangs vanilla one IT KNOWS how to download its own information correctly.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon