[1.6.4] Rendering the Overworld

Roymond

Hey Modders,

I'm working on a mod that allows the user to switch dimensions from a GUI menu. The intention is that I will add multiple dimensions at a later date but for now I am just working with the main three that we have in the game.

The issue I am currently running into is when I shift from the End (Dimension 1) to the Overworld (Dimension 0). The problem is that the overworld does not render until the player logs out and logs back in. What I mean by does not render is that the screen becomes grey and stays grey until the person relogs.

Here's the current code:

public double[] shift(EntityPlayer entity, double[] position){
		if (entity.ridingEntity == null && entity.riddenByEntity == null && entity instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
		{
			if (entity instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
			{
				EntityPlayerMP thePlayer = (EntityPlayerMP) entity;
				if (entity.dimension == 1){
					entity.setPosition(position[0], position[1]+1, position[2]);
					thePlayer.mcServer.getConfigurationManager().transferPlayerToDimension(thePlayer, 0, new Teleporter(thePlayer.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(0)));

} else if (entity.dimension == 0){
					position[0] = entity.posX;
					position[1] = entity.posY;
					position[2] = entity.posZ;
					thePlayer.mcServer.getConfigurationManager().transferPlayerToDimension(thePlayer, 1, new Teleporter(thePlayer.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(1)));
				}
			}
		}
		return position;
}

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a tutorial, or a package that I can look investigate to solve my issue?

One thing I've tried after playing around with a "Emergency Teleport" is the function "setPositionAndUpdate" in the EntityPlayer class.

Unfortunately this does not seem to solve the problem when coming back from the end to the OverWorld.

I'm going to look into the End Portal Code and hopefully find where they send back to the overworld (skipping the message code).

However, if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is what I found in ServerConfigurationManager in 1.5, never coded dimensions afterwards.

public void transferPlayerToDimension(EntityPlayerMP par1EntityPlayerMP, int par2)
    {
        transferPlayerToDimension(par1EntityPlayerMP, par2, mcServer.worldServerForDimension(par2).getDefaultTeleporter());
    }

public void transferPlayerToDimension(EntityPlayerMP par1EntityPlayerMP, int par2, Teleporter teleporter)
    {
        int j = par1EntityPlayerMP.dimension;
        WorldServer worldserver = this.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(par1EntityPlayerMP.dimension);
        par1EntityPlayerMP.dimension = par2;
        WorldServer worldserver1 = this.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(par1EntityPlayerMP.dimension);
        par1EntityPlayerMP.playerNetServerHandler.sendPacketToPlayer(new Packet9Respawn(par1EntityPlayerMP.dimension, (byte)par1EntityPlayerMP.worldObj.difficultySetting, worldserver1.getWorldInfo().getTerrainType(), worldserver1.getHeight(), par1EntityPlayerMP.theItemInWorldManager.getGameType()));
        worldserver.removePlayerEntityDangerously(par1EntityPlayerMP);
        par1EntityPlayerMP.isDead = false;
        this.transferEntityToWorld(par1EntityPlayerMP, j, worldserver, worldserver1, teleporter);
        this.func_72375_a(par1EntityPlayerMP, worldserver);
        par1EntityPlayerMP.playerNetServerHandler.setPlayerLocation(par1EntityPlayerMP.posX, par1EntityPlayerMP.posY, par1EntityPlayerMP.posZ, par1EntityPlayerMP.rotationYaw, par1EntityPlayerMP.rotationPitch);
        par1EntityPlayerMP.theItemInWorldManager.setWorld(worldserver1);
        this.updateTimeAndWeatherForPlayer(par1EntityPlayerMP, worldserver1);
        this.syncPlayerInventory(par1EntityPlayerMP);
        Iterator iterator = par1EntityPlayerMP.getActivePotionEffects().iterator();

while (iterator.hasNext())
        {
            PotionEffect potioneffect = (PotionEffect)iterator.next();
            par1EntityPlayerMP.playerNetServerHandler.sendPacketToPlayer(new Packet41EntityEffect(par1EntityPlayerMP.entityId, potioneffect));
        }

GameRegistry.onPlayerChangedDimension(par1EntityPlayerMP);
    }

I'm working on a mod that allows the user to switch dimensions from a GUI menu.

I hope your teleportation code isn't in a client side only class.

You should look into the ender pearl code, it is pretty straight forward.

I'm pretty sure that the class is not Client Side Only. The current code executes switching dimensions when you right click on the item. It's weird because transporting to the end works perfectly. Every time it renders. It's coming back to the Over World that is the problem.

Is the code for the End Game Script (after you defeat the dragon and get the player message) worth taking a look at? Or maybe even initial spawn?

Right now, I am using the base Teleporter class from the package "net.minecraft.world"

The reason I've been questioning whether I need a custom teleport class is because I'm not building a portal. I am just switching dimensions when the user right clicks on the item.

You need a custom teleporter if you are not using the nether portal.

Though you might want to try using this:

par3EntityPlayer.travelToDimension(1);

Due to the way travelToDimension works, it will transfer any players in the end to the over world, and any players not in the end to the end.

You need a custom teleporter if you are not using the nether portal.

Though you might want to try using this:

par3EntityPlayer.travelToDimension(1);

Due to the way travelToDimension works, it will transfer any players in the end to the over world, and any players not in the end to the end.

I've given this a go and unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem. I'm still experiencing the same issue. When I return to the overworld, I am greeted with a grey screen. The coordinates are the same, and the player does not fall, but the graphics do not render until I reload the world.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either... At this point, here is the entire class file for the Dimension Watch (I'm calling it the Dimension Watch)

package roymond.teleports;

import net.minecraft.world.Teleporter;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class dimensionwatch extends Item {

double[] position = {0,0,0};

public EntityPlayer player;

public dimensionwatch(int par1) {
	super(par1);
	// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
}

@Override
    public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer entity)
    {
	shift(entity,position);
	System.out.println(position[0] + " " + position[1] + " " + position[2]);
	return par1ItemStack;
	}

public double[] shift(EntityPlayer entity, double[] position){
		if (entity.ridingEntity == null && entity.riddenByEntity == null && entity instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
		{
				EntityPlayerMP thePlayer = (EntityPlayerMP) entity;
				if (thePlayer.dimension == 1 && !thePlayer.worldObj.isRemote){

thePlayer.travelToDimension(0);
					thePlayer.setPositionAndUpdate(position[0], position[1]+1, position[2]);

//thePlayer.mcServer.getConfigurationManager().transferPlayerToDimension(thePlayer, 0, new Teleporter(thePlayer.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(0)));
				} else if (thePlayer.dimension == 0 && !thePlayer.worldObj.isRemote){
					position[0] = entity.posX;
					position[1] = entity.posY;
					position[2] = entity.posZ;
					thePlayer.travelToDimension(1);
					//thePlayer.mcServer.getConfigurationManager().transferPlayerToDimension(thePlayer, 1, new Teleporter(thePlayer.mcServer.worldServerForDimension(1)));
				}
		}
		return position;
}

}

And here is the Item's declaration in the base mod:

public Item dimensionSwitcher = new dimensionwatch(500).setUnlocalizedName("dimensionSwitcher").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabCombat);

Ok, it looks like you are going to need a custom teleporter. That appears to be the only way around it as vanilla seams to assume that you are coming from the nether when you use thePlayer.travelToDimension(0);, so you are going to need to bypass travelTo dimension and use your own teleporter. I would help but I have to go for awhile.