How to use Gradle in NetBeans

Two

The following list has been build on try & error experience and might not be correct or perfect. If you feel that this can be improved, please feel free to comment and add your suggestions.

1. Install the NetBeans Gradle plugin

Tools -> Plugins -> Available Plugins -> search for "Gradle" -> install

2. Install the latest Gradle

As Forge ships with an outdated Gradle version that causes issues during debugging, you need to dowload the latest binaries from the official source

Forge Gradle has been updated, no need for manual install anymore, but guide kept for reference.

Extract the Zip into any directory (no installation necessary), then point Netbeans to this directory under Tools -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Gradle -> Gradle Installation Directory

3. Download the latest/recommended Forge SRC zip

Extract it to a new directory, which will then be your project directory.

4. Setup Forge

Open a command line and go to that new directory to setup the decompile workspace:

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

If you have issues and think you messed up the setup, run:

gradlew cleancache --refresh-dependencies

If that one fails: go to your \User\Home directory and delete the .gradle directory, then try again.

5. Open the project

File -> Open Project -> navigate to the dir where you extracted the files.

If you have not installed the latest Gradle, you will receive an error message about that at this point.

6. Run the client

To run the client you need to execute the 'runClient' task. If you want to tie that to the run button (F6) you need to first edit the built-in task as follows:

[*]Go to project properties -> Gradle project -> Manage Built-In Tasks

[*]Select the task 'Run' from the list

[*]Deselect 'Inherit' to enable edit, then under 'Tasks' replace "run" with "runClient"

6. Run the server

As in 6. just that you need to execute the task 'runServer' instead of 'runClient'. You can change the built-in run task accordingly as described above.

If you often switch between server and client compilation, you can add profiles to the project properties like 'Client' and 'Server' which have individual configurations of the 'Run' task. This makes switching a lot easier.

Hint: you can debug by using the debugClient and debugServer tasks as above.

7. Build the mod jar

To build a distributable mod jar, use the build button (F11).

The result file will be placed in "build\libs".

8. Customize your mod

Beside adding code you can customize your mod by editing the build.gradle file (Build Scripts -> double-click build.gradle).

Here you can edit "version", "group" and "archivesBaseName" to your likings.

My Mods

New Dawn - A completely new terrain engine for Minecraft

TwoTility - Blocks and Items for a better Minecraft

TwoGraves - Keeps your items safe on death

Edit your netbeans run configs directly, don't mess in the build.gradle.

This was one of my many attempts, but whatever I do, the arguments are always ignored even if definitely present, and I have no clue why.

Edit: I changed the tutorial so that it adds the required parameters to the run config. It doesn't fix the problem, however.

My Mods

Good to see someone besides myself working on mods with NetBeans.

Step 2. Typographic error, you have "Force" instead of "Forge".

Also, clarify "working directory". Do you mean, as it was previously, a subdirectory of the MCP stuff? Or, do you mean inside of the gradle path? Or, do you mean as a copy within the mod's structure? Hopefully, NOT the latter, ... I have enough mod projects that I would be frustrated if I had that many duplicates..........

Use the force... eh.. Forge. ;)

The extracted ZIP is your working and project directory. But compared to earlier Forge versions, it is now much more tidy, as the Minecraft and Forge code has been moved into a jar by the team.

My Mods

Hello,

As I was running the same environment in debug mode, I've found that no argument is passed into the launched command.

The main class is set by the DevBasePlugin class but the "args" passed as well as the "fml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates" parameters never reaches the run task of the build.

I find the same errors using the command line.

Can anyone confirm that at least the command line scripts can perform a build ?

I've been trying some more things after a reply from LexManos, and I am pretty sure that the failure to run is a Forge bug. See here: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,15233.msg77271.html

My Mods

• 2 weeks later...

Two, going off the run task you posted in this thread, I believe you have the wrong syntax for the args and jvmArgs methods, as pointed out by a Gradle dev here.  Instead of passing each set of arguments as a single string, pass each token separately, as follows:

args("--version", "1.6", "--tweakClass", "cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker", "--accessToken", "FML")
jvmArgs("-Xincgc",  "-Xmx1024M", "-Xms1024M", "-Djava.library.path=${project.buildDir}/natives",  "-Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true")

That said, these run tasks appear to work for Forge version 1.6.4-9.11.1.964:

task runClient(type: JavaExec) {
    classpath = sourceSets.main.runtimeClasspath
    main = "net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch"
    args("--version", "1.6",
        "--tweakClass", "cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker",
        "--accessToken", "FML")
    jvmArgs("-Xincgc",
        "-Xmx1024M",
        "-Xms1024M",
        "-Djava.library.path=${project.buildDir}/natives",
        "-Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true")
    workingDir("eclipse")
}

task runServer(type: JavaExec) {
    classpath = sourceSets.main.runtimeClasspath
    main = "cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper"
    jvmArgs("-Xincgc", "-Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true")
}

Note that you'll have to manually configure the project's properties in order for Netbeans' run button (or F6) to execute either of these tasks.  Also, keep in mind that if you use the clean task, it will delete your build folder along with the natives folder inside.  You can run the extractNatives task again to get it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for long time no answer and big thanks for the fix!

I just tested the change with the current Forge version (172-10.12.1.1061) and it works.

If you just hit the run tasks, it complains because no main class has been set. This is understandable because the script doesn't know if I want to run server or client obviously. It might be a good idea to default the run to runClient, because that is what most people want to run.

If I change the built-in run task to run 'runClient' instead, the client launches properly and everything seems to work fine. I got at some point an error about the lwjgl missing, but the second time I run "setupDecompWorkspace" the error was gone. No clue what caused that on my first try.

My Mods

I updated the initial post to reflect the changes. I still cannot figure out how to run individual tasks in NetBeans, just because the list of tasks is so huge that the window does not display any beyond the 'jar' task. Not sure what to do about this, but then you can always edit the run task to have it execute the proper 'runClient' or 'runServer' task.

My Mods

• 1 month later...

I'm now trying to use it from NetBeans. Build & run work fine, but in the editor I have a lot of errors - even though the build works just fine. At the top of the file I get an error that java.lang could not be loaded - so I suppose the remaining errors stem from that one.

All imports seem to work fine, though. Anyone else experiencing this issue too? It makes it rather impractical to work with as the editor is full of errors.