Weird TileEntity Array Behaviour...

Busti

Hello,

I've been trying to set up an Array in a TileEntity

public boolean connect[] = {false, false, false, false, false, false};

but every time I set a new variable or every tick it magically resets itself. Is this just me derping with Java or does minecraft not like me?

Busti

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

Its only client sided since I'm just using it for rendering.

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void updateSides() {
	for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
		this.connect[i] = ApiXPPipe.checkForXPContainer(this.xCoord+Facing.offsetsXForSide[i], this.yCoord+Facing.offsetsYForSide[i], this.zCoord+Facing.offsetsZForSide[i], this.worldObj);
	}

}

updeteSides is called when the blocks neighbour Blocks are changed.

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

OK! I just tested it without the @SideOnly... and it seems like its only updating the array on the server now!?

EDIT1:But I dont want to send an extra Package to the server every time something changes around the block...

So apparently updateSides() is only called on the server side. And no you shouldn't have gotten an error or something because you're calling a @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) annotated method because that only will be the case if you test it on a dedicated server instead of the internal SSP one. You'll then see that just the line

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

will throw an exception as the SideOnly notation only applies to the field and not it's initializer.

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

Hi

A couple of thoughts

- your TileClient member variables will be reset every time the chunks are reloaded unless you add them to the constructor and save them to NBT.  See for example TileEntityPiston

- when/from where is your updateSides method called?

- is there any reason your renderer can't just check the six adjacent blocks every time before it renders? 

-TGG

BTW this link might help with background information about what @SideOnly does... as MineMaarten says, it's actually nothing to do with Server-side vs Client-side code.  It's Client-with-integrated-server vs Dedicated Server.

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-forge-starts-up-your-code.html