Server side integer saving?

deadrecon98

How would I call it from another class though? I need it to add a counter to it on an item right click.

That is not how you should be saving this info.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time you've mentioned that you want a counter ON an item.  For that, just use the NBT tags already accessible on the item stack.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

This is the first time you've mentioned that you want a counter ON an item.  For that, just use the NBT tags already accessible on the item stack.

No! That is not what I am trying to do! Would you just read it! I want it to add one to it whenever you right click. I do not want it only on the item.

Ok look:

If you have an item that is modifying a counter, either:

A) the counter is ON the item

B) ALL INSTANCES OF THAT ITEM will modify the SAME counter

@Draco, one can always modify a counter in a different class on an Item right click, it doesn't have to be in the Item/ItemStack itself, but yeah, the poster's intent isn't very clear, so...

@deadrecon98 - diesieben07 showed you code he has made that works for saving data to the world, you just need to modify it to suit your needs. Add a method to your extension of the WorldSavedData class to call from item right click that increments a counter in it and marks it dirty, or whatever else you feel like modifying. You know all the basics of Java, right, so you should be good to go with the information you have.

Otherwise, could you explain exactly in the most specific way possible what you are trying to do?

@Draco, one can always modify a counter in a different class on an Item right click, it doesn't have to be in the Item/ItemStack itself, but yeah, the poster's intent isn't very clear, so...

Which is option B.  Problem is I don't know if that's what he actually wants to happen because it would mean that ALL players on the server would be modifying the SAME value.

Which is option B.  Problem is I don't know if that's what he actually wants to happen because it would mean that ALL players on the server would be modifying the SAME value.

B) ALL INSTANCES OF THAT ITEM will modify the SAME counter

But I cannot figure out how to call it from that class.

Well first off....item right clicks are handled client side...

So you'd need a packet handler...

But to answer the question:

NameOfClassWhereIntegerLives.NameOfStaticInteger += 1

NameOfClassWhereIntegerLives.IncreaseThatThing();

function int IncreaseThatThing() {
    NameOfStaticInteger += 1;
    setDirty();
    return NameOfStaticInteger;
}

Ah, the magic of Static.

Sorry, but I think they understand very well. Try reading http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3415781/what-exactly-does-static-mean-when-declaring-global-variables-in-java and use google prolifically to find other resources to help you. There is lots of useful information for people of all levels of coding experience available at http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/classvars.html.

The other possibility is that you didn't import the class containing the static field you want to access, which could account for its 'invisibility'.

Dude I know basic java

then i suggest learning "advanced" java... or rethinking your definition of "basic". i remember your old thread and all you needed to know was already posted in it multiple times. people even posted code for you. the only thing stopping you from making your stuff work was.. well, not having a firm grasp of basic java..

Magic that a basic Java developper knows about. That's probably why this topic is three pages long.

yup. sadly, this is turning out almost exactly like the last thread

Hey, I was one of the guys from before. Specifically, I was the guy who had the same issue, but managed to get it working.

Anyway, if you wanna have a look through, here's the main code you need. Note I'm using Doubles, but an int would work EXACTLY the same, just use an int not a double and change the word where appropriate;

https://github.com/Flenix/FlenixCitiesCore/blob/master/co/uk/silvania/cities/core/blocks/atm/TileEntityATMBlock.java

https://github.com/Flenix/FlenixCitiesCore/blob/master/co/uk/silvania/cities/core/NBTConfig.java

The first is my block. When the player right-clicks the ATM with their money, it gets stored. The second simply controls the NBT stuff; there might be a better way of doing it, but this works.

(Also, not gonna lie I didn't read any other replies. If this was already solved, just ignore me :))

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

Hey, I was one of the guys from before. Specifically, I was the guy who had the same issue, but managed to get it working.

Anyway, if you wanna have a look through, here's the main code you need. Note I'm using Doubles, but an int would work EXACTLY the same, just use an int not a double and change the word where appropriate;

https://github.com/Flenix/FlenixCitiesCore/blob/master/co/uk/silvania/cities/core/blocks/atm/TileEntityATMBlock.java

https://github.com/Flenix/FlenixCitiesCore/blob/master/co/uk/silvania/cities/core/NBTConfig.java

The first is my block. When the player right-clicks the ATM with their money, it gets stored. The second simply controls the NBT stuff; there might be a better way of doing it, but this works.

(Also, not gonna lie I didn't read any other replies. If this was already solved, just ignore me :))

Lol I actually do remember and want to say sorry for all of that stuff. But no this was just becoming a huge mess of people thinking that I don't know what the static modifier is -_-. Buuut thank you :D