Telling how long left click is held down

GravityWolf

Hello! I'm working on a melee/ranged weapon, but I want it so you only have to use left click, as I am using dual wielding. So I'm going to try to set it up so if you hold down left click for about 1 second and let go, it shoots an entity. (Don't worry, I don't need help with that :P) So here's my code so far to stop the swing:

if (weaponAbility == "chakram") {

if (player.isSwingInProgress) {

player.isSwingInProgress = false;

}

}

This is in onUpdate, just by the way. So, anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Seems a bit... Sketchy.

But anyway. What I would do is make a TickHandler for client ( or is it server in this instance? :/ ) that would take a Boolean from the item that is called, something like: isThisItemLeftClickingOrNot. Then do a check in the handler to see if it is, and then add 1 onto a counter. Then, if the counter is over 20 ticks ( I believe that is one second ) wait, or keep adding, until the variable is false again. Then in the else statement, do another check to see if the counter is greater than 20 ( or however many ticks a second is ).

Example:

// TickHandler stuff...
// in whatever method it is
if ( player.getHeldItem ().getItem ().itemId == YourMod.YourItem.itemId ) {
    if ( YourMod.YourItem.getIsThisItemLeftClickingOrNot )
        counter++;
    else {
        if ( counter >= 20 ) {
            // RELEASE THE ENTITY! Maybe... This should be server side  Ignore the client side above 
        }
    }
}
// More TickHandler stuff..

So yeah.. Something along those lines. You could also make the tickhandler set a Boolean in the item and check it using the left click function to release the entity... I am not sure which is cleaner. I would assume doing it from the TickHandler would be a bit quicker.

Hope this helps :D

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD