[Not Really Solved] Weird errors when recompiling

myoKun345

I recently converted all of my item and block classes to Scala classes with one file for items and one file for blocks (and one file for ItemBlocks.) This did not cause any problems in Eclipse; everything compiled correctly and everything works in-game as before. However, when I go to recompile through MCP, the Scala compiler runs over a problem in the BuildCraft API, which it isn't even supposed to be touching since BuildCraft is not Scala at all:

~snip\mcp\src\minecraft\buildcraft\api\power\IPowerReceptor.java:10: error: value PowerReceiver is not a member of object buildcraft.api.power.PowerHandler
import buildcraft.api.power.PowerHandler.PowerReceiver;
       ^
~snip\mcp\src\minecraft\buildcraft\api\power\IPowerReceptor.java:34: error: not found: type PowerReceiver
public PowerReceiver getPowerReceiver(ForgeDirection side);
               ^

It doesn't make any sense, since: 1. the code I converted did not interact with the BuildCraft API, 2. those two files it is throwing errors in are Java files, so the Scala compiler shouldn't be trying to use them and 3. looking in those BuildCraft classes I can see that PowerHandler.PowerReceiver does indeed exist. If I need to revert my conversions because it just won't work or something, it's not the biggest deal. If there is some way I can make the compiler only work with certain folders in mcp/src that would possibly fix it, or give a clearer picture of what is really wrong here.

Stuff I converted:

https://github.com/myoKun345/ElementalExperimentation/blob/master/elex_common/elex/item/ItemElex.scala

https://github.com/myoKun345/ElementalExperimentation/blob/master/elex_common/elex/block/BlockElex.scala

https://github.com/myoKun345/ElementalExperimentation/blob/master/elex_common/elex/block/util/ItemBlockElex.scala

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I've learned that MCP uses the Scala compiler instead of the Java compiler if it is found since it is designed to do both jobs. So excluding the files is probably not going to work. I still have no clue what is wrong here.

After royally screwing up my Eclipse workspace somehow and setting it all back up from scratch, the error with BuildCraft is no longer blocking progress. However, MCP is now being derpy instead by running the Java compiler before the Scala compiler which now gives me repeated errors in my imports for the things I converted to Scala.

Example:

~snip\mcp\src\minecraft\elex\core\ModItems.java:7: error: package elex.item does not exist

import elex.item.ElexItemDust;

^

Now that I have the real problem, should I go to MCP support or does one of you guys have an answer?

After royally screwing up my Eclipse workspace somehow and setting it all back up from scratch, the error with BuildCraft is no longer blocking progress. However, MCP is now being derpy instead by running the Java compiler before the Scala compiler which now gives me repeated errors in my imports for the things I converted to Scala.

Example:

~snip\mcp\src\minecraft\elex\core\ModItems.java:7: error: package elex.item does not exist

import elex.item.ElexItemDust;

^

I'm getting the same error. And I've tried reinstalling forge 3 times.

Now that I have the real problem, should I go to MCP support or does one of you guys have an answer?

Ok, so I think I was mistaken about javac running before scalac; Scala compiles everything it needs to normally but then Java freaks out because it doesn't know where the compiled Scala classes are for whatever reason. (They are actually in mcp/bin like they are supposed to be.) I'm not sure if it's a MCP bug or not that this happens... Anyway at this point I am kind of stuck unless I will have to change the recompile Python script, which I imagine will not be a piece of cake in the least. If anybody else has any idea how this can be fixed it is greatly appreciated.

@RoboJack Are you using Scala alongside Java like I am? Because really this topic doesn't pertain to Java-only projects I don't think. By the way, reobfuscating does not work when the recompile fails.

Well, since MCP isn't going to get this fixed until the next release (probably 1.6.3 or 1.7) I just built a workaround into my build system so it has to run the recompile twice, once to get the Scala classes and put them in mcp/lib and then again to correctly compile everything else. It works for now. By the way, is there a bug tracker or something somewhere for MCP? Because this is a pretty ridiculous issue...

• 1 month later...

I think I hit this error as well. Does anybody know if this is/going to be fixed?

I don't want to mess with those python scripts (I not good in python, I'd probably break it bad :-\).

PS: Forum shown that the post has been added, but after refresh it vanished. I hope this time it will behave.

mnn.getNativeLang() != English

If I helped you please click on the "thank you" button.

The workaround posted by myoKun345 seems to be working, I'll have to automatize it (bash script?), because doing it manually is quite tedious and error prone (forgetting remove files from lib).

Just wondering, who is "responsible" for Scala support? I know that in older MCP versions FML/Forge was doing some patching of MCP scripts, but I have no idea how it's done now.

I guess I was a bit naive to expect the scala support is in stable ready-to-use state :'(.

mnn.getNativeLang() != English

If I helped you please click on the "thank you" button.

• 1 month later...