Unable to install forge (859, Mac 10.7.5, java 6u51)

keybounce

I am unable to get forge to install.

My goal is forge 845-848, for compatibility. However, as requested, I retested with the latest (859).

What happens: When I start the installer, I get a window titled "Mod system installer", and there is an "OK" button. The rest of the window is blank.

Command used to start the installer:

java -jar ~/Documents/Games/Minecraft/Playing/Mods/162/minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.1.859.jar

System is Apple mac, 10.7.5.

Java version is 6 update 51

I did not see any log files generate, nor anything in the terminal output, nor anything in the system console.

Tested both the 848 and the 859 installers.

I cannot find clear instructions on how to manually install stuff in 162 (about the only thing I can find is how to install exactly one specific mod, slightly different for each such mod giving instructions, on top of vanilla, with nothing clear for installing more than one mod)

EDIT: to clarify: While I have seen instructions on installing into a client, I have never seen instruction on installing into a server. I need to be able to get a modded SMP server up and running.

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

you can either use the -server command option when running it.

Or try updating your java to java 7.

Shouldn't need to but some screwed up reason, certian macs like to fuck up rendering standard java guis. I'd yell at Apple about it.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Next question: Where can I find docs on installing a client-side mod? Specifically, installing forge on the client. Since I can't just plop it into the jar file anymore (Yes, I know that there's an FML flag to ignore checksum mismatches), but have to mark it as being in a library, what is the proper procedure?

Equally, does this procedure work for all jar mods, or is there some issue with it?

(As mentioned earlier, the installer doesn't work on my mac, so I have to learn how to do it manually. But after several days of searching, everything I can find is "Put in the FML flags and patch the jar file directly.")

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

Jar mods are not and have never been supported. So stop using them.

As for how to install Forge, use the installer...

The installer should work fine, if it doesnt you should work on triyng to debug why it's not so we can fix it.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon