Making custom vehicle

sinsiliuxs120

Hello fellow modders, I have a little question and try to keep it as short as possible.

So I've planned adding a few vehicles into my mod, but haven't found a tutorial anywhere. If you find any tutorial or would be so kind and explain it to me just let me know, I would be glad. Thanks in advance.

-S

P.S. I've looked up the boat and minecart classes, so save your time and don't suggest looking up to them.

There are no such tutorials to be found. Vehicle could mean a lot of things, what specifically do you seek to create? I'm sure you understand that the minecart and boat are entirely different in their code, and so are your planned vehicle I'm guessing? :)

P.S. I've looked up the boat and minecart classes, so save your time and don't suggest looking up to them.

Nice you looked at them, but did you understand them? ;)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

I'm actually interested in this as well, I want to make a couple of vehicles that can fly. I have looked over the minecart and boat files as well.

In order to create something you need to be able to define it so one can divide and conquer it's lesser components ;)

If I take a boat which moves in the Y direction as well as the X & Z, kinda like the player does while in creative mode. Then would that satisfy it as the type of vehicle you want (with different speed, texture, model etc. ofc)?

So I want to make placeable vehicle, which you can ride on any block except water or air of course. Where should I start?

First you should start by clearly defining the vehicle.

How will it move up slopes? can it move up 1 block incline? if not then can it jump up them like a player has to?

and if it can't then can it move up stairs or special ramps to go upwards?

When you are sure you have in writing defined this vehicle as sepcificly as you can, then it's time to convert it into code :)

I'd start by adding in the model, or at least a simple model to use.

Using a simple entity doing nothing I would then create an item which spawns the entity.

Now you are able to spawn the entity with your model inside the world.

Then I would proceed to work on the real thing, the entity itself. This way you can test things as you go, and besides the core of it all is inside the entity ;)

@Endershadow:

Psuedo code, I'm assuming you understand, else give me a shout ;)

@OP: The code I'm showing EnderShadow might be of interest for you as well, depending on how familiar you are with java and if you already know your way around keyhandler and packets.

Psuedo code:

On keypress SpaceKey

If player.isRiding() then

if player.ridingEntity instanceof MyVehicleEntity then

Increase player.ridingEntity.motion.Y

And for another key, for example Shift, make motion Y be negative.

You will need to know when the keypress ends, so you know when to set the motion.Y to 0 though.

On keypress SpaceKey

If player.isRiding() then

if player.ridingEntity instanceof MyVehicleEntity then

Increase player.ridingEntity.motion.Y

And for another key, for example Shift, make motion Y be negative.

You will need to know when the keypress ends, so you know when to set the motion.Y to 0 though.

and this would be in a tick handler? or would it be in the update method of the entity?

in case it's relevant to any of you two:

KeyHandler: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1798625-162sobiohazardouss-forge-keybinding-tutorial/

Packets! Read them both to get a understanding of packets :)

Packet Handling 1: http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Packet_Handling

Packet Handling 2: http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Advanced_Packet_Handling