Are we SSP, SMP Client or SMP server?

Xfel

I think it would be useful to add functions like isMultiplayerClient() and isMultiplayerServer() for use in shared code. the second one returns true if running on the server. the first one returns true if we are client and connected to a server. I could code this myself, but I think it would be good if this would be available at some central place.

There is no generic way to obtain the world. In the client, you get it through ModLoader.getMinecraftInstance.theWorld, on the server, you have to deal with dimensions & co. I always need to write two implementations.

If !MinecraftForge.isClient() then we are server and world is local
If MinecraftForge.isClient then
   if ModLoader.minecraft.world.isRemote then
      we are client and in SMP
   else
      we are client and ssp

I dont see what is hard?

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Unfortunately, the given code won't compile on the server, as there is no ModLoader.getMinecraftInstance there. It may be possible to compile it on the client and then put it into the server file, but even if that would work, it would be absolutely bad coding style.

Essentially what you're wanting is forge to have that crappy code, instead of your code.

And yes, it would work fine if you did it correcly.

HOWEVER, if you can write clean version of those then go for it.

Honestly, that isnt really needed, as simply knowing if you're the client or the server is enough.

Anything that interactes with the world, should have a reference to the world.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Unfortunately, the given code won't compile on the server, as there is no ModLoader.getMinecraftInstance there. It may be possible to compile it on the client and then put it into the server file, but even if that would work, it would be absolutely bad coding style.

You do realize that the second if statement shouldn't even be in the server code right?

Honestly, that isnt really needed, as simply knowing if you're the client or the server is enough.

Anything that interactes with the world, should have a reference to the world.

Many operations only get an IBlockAccess instead of a world. Of course, I could cast it to World, but that's not a clean solution. And in some of these it is essentially important whether the world is remote or not, as many operations should only be done on the server in SMP.