How to create an instance to hook into a variable from another class

Conraad

Working on 1.6.2, doing a vehicle extension for my existing mod.

My problem, I want to add wheel yaw and wheel turning to the vehicle when it drives, the variable inside the vehicle class file won't work unless I make it static which off course end up in turning the wheels of every single entity of vehicle type so a no go.

eventually I came up with the following but it still does not work.

public void render(Entity entity, float f, float f1, float f2, float f3, float f4, float f5)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < this.vehicleModel.length; i++)
        {
        	this.vehicleModel[i].render(f5);
        }

for (int j = 0; j < this.wheelModel.length; j++)
        {
        	this.wheelModel[j].rotateAngleY = (((EntityTrucks)entity).wheelYaw * 3.141593F) / 60F;
        	this.wheelModel[j].render(f5);
        }
    }

(((EntityTrucks)entity) just simply does nothing does anyone have any idea on how i should go about making this work\

if you need any extra class file code I will pastebin

your entity truck extends vehicule right ? then you should be able to add a new field inside truck and just use that variable to get the wheel orientation.

did you try printing inside your render method to check that the wheel rotation value was correct ?

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

your entity truck extends vehicule right ? then you should be able to add a new field inside truck and just use that variable to get the wheel orientation.

did you try printing inside your render method to check that the wheel rotation value was correct ?

Weird enough that's what I did the code above have EntityTruck, I've had EntityBedfordTruck which extends to Entitytruck in there just playing around testing.

public float wheelYaw; is set in EntityTrucks and set to 0.0F and on entity update when the wheel should move, wheelyaw is changed. but using what you see there doesn't seem to work if i do it the other way around using static works like a charm.

her's the code

EntityBedfordTruck

http://pastebin.com/PNguVU8a

EntityTrucks

http://pastebin.com/m2j42CZ0

ModelBedfordTruck

http://pastebin.com/991xK0dx

On a side note I can see the wheels being rendered, so I know the code is running past that line of code, but that line of code simply does nothing using it the static way would be to add

this.wheelModel[j].rotateAngleY = (EntityTrucks.wheelYaw * 3.141593F) / 60F;

do that but then you need the wheelyaw float static which interferes with wheels of all vehicles

yeye for sure we dont want it static, makes no sens anyway

but was i mean is, can you print right before that rotation yaw thing? so you can clearly know what is the value at this moment ?

System.out.println("value of rotation: "+((EntityTrucks)entity).wheelYaw);
this.wheelModel[j].rotateAngleY = (((EntityTrucks)entity).wheelYaw * 3.141593F) / 60F;

yeye for sure we dont want it static, makes no sens anyway

but was i mean is, can you print right before that rotation yaw thing? so you can clearly know what is the value at this moment ?

System.out.println("value of rotation: "+((EntityTrucks)entity).wheelYaw);

Value stays on 0.0 and yeah need to learn debug 101 rofl

WheelYaw is changed when left/right key is pressed, that sends the key update thru to server and the keys works and been tested on smp truck drives, just this dam wheelyaw when it's static it works when it's not static it won't work

Used the print code to print directly where it changes AKA when key is pressed and I can see wheelyaw values are changing

also tested onupdate() and wheelyaw changes when i press the key's but that info is not used by the rendering of the wheel, there value stay on 0.0

don't the entity updates get called server side only? i'm not sure actually. but i vaguely remember that it's only server side. hence the data watchers

was typing that but nevermind. if they update client side first for your truck, then i guess you aren't updating it properly like hydroflame said

So how do you go about updating Entity, apart from the keys where packets are use to update, the rest of the entity is run inside onUpdate method, which does everything and then datawatchers.

I even tried a get and set method now, with no avail, so maybe I need to setup a datawatcher to monitor that variable for changes. still clueless of why it works when variable is static but not when it's not static that is like the golden question, answer to that will solve this mystery.

This vehicle code is also heavily based of entityboat, to ensure everything works properly, back in 1.2.5 i used to

add EntityBedfordTruck to the rendering method, but with 1.6.2 and new rendering that just doesn't wanna work anymore so

public void render(EntityBedfordTruck entity, float f, float f1, float f2, float f3, float f4, float f5) renders an invisible truck

what i would do is either calculate the difference between last position and current position and derivate the rotation of the wheels from that, or use the datawatcher, whatever you feel like :)

and just to clarify. onUpdate() is only called server side. so if you call pressKeyClient() in onUpdate() and only there, you're gonna have to change your set up because it won't work on a dedicated server

It works on smp and dedicated servers, that call is for checking whether a key is down and if it is down it sends the packets and runs the public void pressKey(int i) that in turns starts the movement.

Why I do it like that because register a new keybinding  with forge for instance WASD keys is a living nightmare, this way you can drive your vehicle using WASD without having to remap vehicle keys differently.

assuming onUpdate() is only server side then i will have to look into sending a packet to the client with the wheelyaw values, and it still doesn't make any sense really because if you change public float wheelYaw; to public static float wheelYaw;

and change this.wheelModel[j].rotateAngleY = (((EntityBedfordTruck)entity).wheelYaw * 3.141593F) / 60F; to

this.wheelModel[j].rotateAngleY = (EntityBedfordTruck.wheelYaw * 3.141593F) / 60F;

without having to change any code the wheels turn and also turn on a dedicated server.

So what exactly makes static so special that it works, is my next question.

@hydroflame yep

@OP that's really weird because i just tested it on a dedicated server and it wouldn't even get past the "if (Class.forName() && Keyboablablaba)" part. and it shouldn't. if it's working on a dedicated server, where the heck is it getting the keyboard input from?:o it can't be from the clients because the only checks for keyboard input is in pressClientKey() which is called by the server. also, i don't think you need packets. you can probably just use the datawatcher.

@hydroflame yep

@OP that's really weird because i just tested it on a dedicated server and it wouldn't even get past the "if (Class.forName() && Keyboablablaba)" part. and it shouldn't. if it's working on a dedicated server, where the heck is it getting the keyboard input from?:o it can't be from the clients because the only checks for keyboard input is in pressClientKey() which is called by the server. also, i don't think you need packets. you can probably just use the datawatcher.

@SidedProxy(

clientSide = "simcraft.core.KeyboardClient",

serverSide = "simcraft.core.Keyboard"

)

public static Keyboard keyboard;

and then that sends packets via

@SidedProxy(

clientSide = "simcraft.core.network.NetworkManagerClient",

serverSide = "simcraft.core.network.NetworkManager"

)

public static NetworkManager network;

The mod is like mecca huge the vehicles is just a small part I'm working on right now to extend it even more, in fact the total amount of class files this mod has atm is round about 1400+ so although the keys might not be working on your side, you would need the rest of the mod to actually get this to work let alone send info to server and back to client.

Issues is not with the keys, but with that variables information not being send to the renderer or updating it if the value is not static, i will play around see if I can find out what the heck or why the heck that value is not being used correctly, I even tried get and set methods and that didn't work either, will run through the code and track it down, just hoped someone had a keen eye and could save me hours of looking for the problem

Issues is not with the keys, but with that variables information not being send to the renderer or updating it if the value is not static, i will play around see if I can find out what the heck or why the heck that value is not being used correctly, I even tried get and set methods and that didn't work either, will run through the code and track it down, just hoped someone had a keen eye and could save me hours of looking for the problem

Well if you hardcoded the key check into the entity, the only person able to drive the entity will be the server owner.

Entities should be affected by the packets, not the other way around.

Just make the value non static, seriously. It can't make a difference on the way it is sent.

OK so finally got this to work, information provided by everyone helped.

Final results, is that yes when you use a static variable it syncs across client/server interesting actually

Easiest way to fix this problem was to use a DataWatcher to monitor the Wheelyaw and then update the DataWatcher whenever the value changes and to get the information across to the model and render properly use a get method, instead of getting the actual value get the current value from the DataWatcher via the get method.

Thanks for all the help and advise

Final results, is that yes when you use a static variable it syncs across client/server interesting actually

Only because you tested on your own server.

When you are the server owner, obviously, both client and server classes will share static fields because they are on the same computer. This isn't magic, only JVM at work :)