Does Anyone Know How To Change Where Forge Loads Their Mods?

Lightyam

Alright so I feel they should add a feature to Forge, that lets you change where the mods folder is, that is if it isn't already possible. If it is possible, could someone lead me to a tutorial. I will be very thankful if you can help me with my problem. I want to have Pixelmon on a separate profile from my usual mods. Once again. Thank you so much to who ever helps me.

This is fairly simple. Make a folder in the .minecraft folder (or where ever you consider to be convenient, doesn't really matter), then open the launcher. Make a new profile or edit the main forge profile. Make sure the forge version is the version it is set to use. Check the box next to Game Directory, and set it as the folder you just made. The mods and config folders, along with a few other files, will be generated in that folder. You will have to copy & paste your options and servers files into that folder or set them manually again. You can do this more than once. For example, I play on a 1.5.2 server and two 1.6.2 servers, and the mods for them aren't compatible. So I have the 1.5.2 mods folder in the main minecraft directory, then the mods folder for one 1.6.2 server is one directory I made, and the mods for the other in another directory. So all three profiles I use have their own directory, and mods loaded depends only on which profile I choose.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I you need me to clarify anything.

Not that I know of, a did a little searching and didn't find anything. I literally just randomly thought "hey I wonder if this would work" one day and it did. In the spoiler below I've written more detailed instructions. This only working with 1.6.X versions and newer. I'm assuming you are on Windows and the official launcher.

1) Open your .minecraft folder. A simple way to do this is in Run or the start menu search bar, type %appdata% and press enter.

2) Right-click somewhere within that folder, and select New, then select Folder. Name it something appropriate. I'm going to use Pixelmon as an example, since it is one I use. So anywhere you see Pixelmon from here on, just substitute your own folder name.

3) Open the minecraft launcher. Select New Profile. Name the profile whatever you want, again I'm going to use the name Pixelmon.

4) Click the little box next to Game Directory to check it, then change the directory from "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\" to C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Pixelmon. For version use release 1.6.2-Forge 9.10.0.804 (or whatever is the recommended version at the time of you reading this). Now click save profile.

5) You will be prompted for your username and password again. Just type those in as you've done before. Make sure the Pixelmon profile is selected, then click Play.

6) After Forge and Minecraft loads, close Minecraft and navigate to the .minecraft folder again, and open you Pixelmon folder. This folder now contains the Config, Mods, Resource Packs, Saves, and Stats folders, along with a few files. Go back to the main .minecraft folder. While pressing CTRL, left-click the options.txt and servers.dat files. Now right-right click one of them, select copy. Go back in the pixelmon folder, right-click within this folder and select past. If it asks if you want to replace any files, do so.

7) Move the desired mods into the Mods folder in the Pixelmon folder. Remember, don't unzip or extract anything, unless a mod specifically tells you to do so, in which case follow those instructions. Forge only recognizes mods when in a .zip or .jar format.

8) Launch Minecraft again, and you should be good to go.