I'm having trouble getting Forge setup...

Elephant454

I tried to run ~/MCP/jars/forge/install.sh (I'm trying to give an idea of how the folders are setup, in case that is part of the problem), and everything worked out fine until I was greeted with the following error:

FATAL ERROR
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/mcp/runtime/decompile.py", line 136, in decompile
    keep_lvt=keep_lvt, keep_generics=keep_generics, force_rg=force_rg)
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/mcp/runtime/mcp.py", line 34, in decompile_side
    commands.applyss(side, keep_lvt=keep_lvt, keep_generics=keep_generics)
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/fml/fml.py", line 943, in applyss_shunt
    transformers_hook(self, side)
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/fml/fml.py", line 1001, in transformers_hook
    apply_ats(fml_dir, mcp_dir, class_path, jars[side], disable_at=disable_at, commands=self)
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/fml/fml.py", line 1300, in apply_ats
    cmds = find_java()
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/fml/fml.py", line 651, in find_java
    if (runcmd('javac -version')):
  File "/home/matthew/downloads/MCP/jars/forge/fml/fml.py", line 373, in runcmd
    process = subprocess.Popen(forklist, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT, bufsize=-1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception

I'm not sure what to do here. I am running CrunchBang Linux. I don't know how to install JDK properly, and I'm not sure if it is properly installed or not. The javac command doesn't work, but I have JDK 7 located in /usr/local/bin. Any ideas of what to do?

The java command does indeed work. I followed this tutorial to install JDK: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Oracle-Java-JDK-on-Ubuntu-Linux. Now I am not getting the previous error, but instead I am getting

== MCP 8.04 (data: 8.04, client: 1.6.2, server: 1.6.2) ==
"scalac" is not found on the PATH.  Scala files will not be recompiled
!! retroguard check FAILED !!
Command '"java" -jar runtime/bin/retroguard.jar --version' returned non-zero exit status 2

Any ideas?

not sure really this didnt happen to me

note1: if scalac cannot be found it should NOT be a problem as scala is not mandatory for forge

i see your path already has mcp installed, but forge doesnt need to have mcp installed anymroe because it will download it itself. can you retry using only forge  ? (see wiki for install instruction)

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-