Rarity

calclavia

If there isn't already, I think Forge should implement a way for blocks and items to have a rarity rating, or maybe a "worth" or "value" rating. This will be useful for mods like EE to determine how much a block or item is actually worth when the block is in another mod to use it for the alchemy compressor thingy.

Knowing this, Forge can also add hooks to villager trading in 1.3 to allow blocks and items from mods to be tradable. The amount of emerald required will be based on the rarity number.

All you need is a function in blocks and items called getRarity or something like that.

Actually, there is already a type of "rarity".

All I think it does is put a label and change the name color.

There are 4 levels,

Common

Uncommon

Rare

Epic

Many cool mods use this.

In ic2, the advanced machine block has a yellow text, that is uncommon.

4 levels ain't enough. I want a nice int number representing the worth of a block or item.

i do agree that having something like the ore dictionary that has forge give a cirtain 'rarity value' to all vanilla items and allows mods to add their own items to it for cross-mod compatibility would be nice

perhaps even create a 'category' system next to the rarity for mods like forestry so external mod items can be properly added to backpacks without having to manually add their item/block id's

Being noobish since 96, being dumb since birth!

Who define the rarity?

Who define which is more rarer then something else?

Who defines how much say, EMC something is worth?

How would the conversion of emeralds go?

This is not something like the ore dict, this would cause to much bickering if added without proper design that mods would not clash.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Who define the rarity?

Who define which is more rarer then something else?

Who defines how much say, EMC something is worth?

How would the conversion of emeralds go?

This is not something like the ore dict, this would cause to much bickering if added without proper design that mods would not clash.

The modder/owner of that block should determine the rarity. Vanilla blocks/items won't have a rarity as these can be set by the modder him/her in their mod. Modders KNOW these blocks and so they can set a rarity for them themselves. However, the blocks that the modders don't know the rarity of would be the blocks that OTHER mods add in.

Say a mod has a block that converts anything (with sufficient amount) into diamond. The item (if we have a rarity value) can be from any mod and it will work as long as it's coded properly.

If there isn't already, I think Forge should implement a way for blocks and items to have a rarity rating, or maybe a "worth" or "value" rating. This will be useful for mods like EE to determine how much a block or item is actually worth when the block is in another mod to use it for the alchemy compressor thingy.

Knowing this, Forge can also add hooks to villager trading in 1.3 to allow blocks and items from mods to be tradable. The amount of emerald required will be based on the rarity number.

All you need is a function in blocks and items called getRarity or something like that.

What if Mod B uses the value it has to measure something else entirely, and you have EE installed and it consumes the item for that much EMC? It creates so many issues.

The Villager trading hooks should allow us to simply declare "recipes" for villager trading that can randomly occur such as.. (and maybe with a "weight" for occurrence chance)

.AddTrade(<Item1 as Item>, <Item1 Amount>, <Item2 as Item>, <Item2 Amount>)

.AddTrade(Bread, 1, oreGold 1)

Why not just: .addTrade(new ItemStack(), Emeralds, Rarity/Occurance)

Because Emeralds shouldn't be the only cost, some mods (like mine) have coins we'd like to be able to use, as well as traditional bartering systems (Bread for Chicken, etc.).

So a hook for adding custom trading currencies, then?

Effectively the custom trading recipes will cover that if it supports both sides of the trade. It just allows modders to modify trading and not just run on Mojang's terms.

So a hook for adding custom trading currencies, then?

Effectively the custom trading recipes will cover that if it supports both sides of the trade. It just allows modders to modify trading and not just run on Mojang's terms.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. :D

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.