Minecraft 1.6.2 not starting and "Loading versions..."

1BeastDante

So I recently updated to the new launcher and heard about the new installers for mods. After playing around with the new items and horse breeding ;), I went and downloaded Forge, Builder Mod, and Gun Customization.(I downloaded all 3 installers, installed to 1.6-Forge-9.10.0.800) Then Minecraft just broke.

When opening it looked the same so I clicked play immediately but no mods were installed. I went back to the launcher and saw the profile was still my default vanilla one, so I switched it to Forge profile. Then the Play button unhighlighted and underneath my username on bottom left it said "Loading versions...". I decided to come back later when it was done loading. I came back after going out to eat and it still was loading after two hours! So I checked out my .minecraft went to versions, and found three versions: 1.6.2, 1.6.2-Forge9.10.0.789, and 1.6.2-Forge9.10.0.800. I deleted the top 2 and restarted Minecraft.

Signing into Minecraft re-installed 1.6.2 vanilla and then I switched to Forge profile thinking it was over but then the Play button and Loading versions thing happened again. I really want to play with some mods as I could never figure out how to use Forge before now (I still can't...)

Any help or any others out there who have experienced similar things?

Error log after deleting and reinstalling 1.6.2:

Launcher 1.1.1 (through bootstrap 5) started on windows...

Current time is Jul 20, 2013 4:03:59 PM

System.getProperty('os.name') == 'Windows 7'

System.getProperty('os.version') == '6.1'

System.getProperty('os.arch') == 'x86'

System.getProperty('java.version') == '1.7.0_21'

System.getProperty('java.vendor') == 'Oracle Corporation'

System.getProperty('sun.arch.data.model') == '32'

Loaded 2 profile(s); selected '1BeastDante'

Refreshing auth...

Logging in with access token

Delta time to compare resources: 1274 ms

Download job 'Resources' skipped as there are no files to download

Job 'Resources' finished successfully

Getting syncinfo for selected version

Queueing library & version downloads

Unhandled exception in executor net.minecraft.launcher.updater.ExceptionalThreadPoolExecutor$ExceptionalFutureTask@164fe95

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Version cannot be null

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)

at net.minecraft.launcher.updater.ExceptionalThreadPoolExecutor$ExceptionalFutureTask.done(ExceptionalThreadPoolExecutor.java:54)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerSetException(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Version cannot be null

at net.minecraft.launcher.updater.VersionList.getCompleteVersion(VersionList.java:53)

at net.minecraft.launcher.updater.VersionManager.getLatestCompleteVersion(VersionManager.java:215)

at net.minecraft.launcher.GameLauncher.playGame(GameLauncher.java:117)

at net.minecraft.launcher.ui.bottombar.PlayButtonPanel$1$1.run(PlayButtonPanel.java:35)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

... 5 more

Interesting, it seems that somehow you've derped up your version information.

If you used our installer then this shouldn't happen. But if you installed a version manually then things could derp up.

What you need to do is go in to the versions folder, delete them all {vanilla ones will re-download when you use them} and re-run the Forge installer.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I used the installer, and I crash because of a binary discrepancy error between the expected input class net.minecraft.client.Minecraft and the actual class (quoting the console), and I did not edit the jar beyond using the installer.

EDIT: Just did some jar fishing, that class doesn't exist.

Make sure you've got completely clean jars by deleting the 1.6.2 folder and any 1.6.2-Forge folders in the versions folder.

Run 1.6.2 through he normal launcher once.

And re-installing.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Ok,  did that, forge on 1.6.2 works. Now for single player commands. Crashed because of a binary discrepancy similar to the previous one, but with net.minecraft.entity.EntityPlayerMP. On the SPC forum thread, they did say it was compatible with Forge. I am now more confused than I was before.