[Unresolved]Adding Item to Inventory after eating Chicken

VikeStep

So firstly let me say that I am quite new to modding minecraft but know quite a bit about programming so should be able to grasp most solutions provided

basically, I want to make it so that when you eat Cooked Chicken, you get a bone in your inventory, similar to how eating a bowl of soup will leave you with a bowl in your inventory.

When inspecting the soup code, I found that it has its own class and that it uses onEaten() to determine when it is being eaten and then gives the item to the player

However I am not sure how to add this trait to cooked chicken without using base edits. I was told on the forge IRC to add a hook to onItemUse() but am unsure how to implement that. any help is greatly appreciated.

I also have searched for an event but I can't find any events that occur when an item is used or a food is eaten.

1) :/ i dont know how to use GitHub, but if it comes down to it I may do that

2) I have no clue what that means, could you please elaborate

3) wouldn't this be a base edit? or are you saying to create a whole new class that overrides the vanilla cooked chicken and also would this mean that this mod would be less compatible with other mods that use cooked Chicken

EDIT: I wont be back for another 8-10 hours to respond to this

1) :/ i dont know how to use GitHub, but if it comes down to it I may do that

Essentially you'd be requesting Forge to add hooks for what you need.

2) I have no clue what that means, could you please elaborate

Reflections.  Google it.  You won't be able to pull this off at your skill level though.

3) wouldn't this be a base edit? or are you saying to create a whole new class that overrides the vanilla cooked chicken and also would this mean that this mod would be less compatible with other mods that use cooked Chicken

No, you'd simply be replacing a variable with a new value.  You wouldn't be altering the code itself.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Essentially you'd be requesting Forge to add hooks for what you need.

ok then, I new what Pull requests were, but I was just not sure I'd be asking for the right hook or something like that, I will probably use this if I can't get method 2 to work

Reflections.  Google it.  You won't be able to pull this off at your skill level though.

I had heard of reflections before (as i said, I have been doing programming for quite a while), but I was unsure how to implement it in Minecraft Modding

Forge (or rather FML) has a feature called coremods. They get access to an interface (IClassTransformer) that allows you to modify the raw bytecode of (almost) any class being loaded by the classloader. FML ships the ASM library wich makes this process even possible, and actually quite easy if you understand a bit about bytecode.

This may be do-able, I will do some research to see what I need to do this. I remember from installing mods in MultiMC that there was a coremods folder, are you saying that I need to make a second mod to go in coremods and also have my main mod in mods or is this coremods you are speaking of something completely different

Yes create a new class that extends ItemFood. Then create a new instance of that with the same item id as the "old" chicken and put it in the Items list array. Just be sure to kill the old chicken from the array first, or the construction of a new item with the same id will crash minecraft.

This can of course only be done by one mod for each item. So if another mod replaces the same item you replace the last one being loaded wins. That's why this method is #3.

That reason is enough to convince me not to use this method. I would like my mod to be compatible with as many as possible.