[1.12.2] Why playerController.attackEntity doesn't work sometimes?

ykozxy

I'm currently using the following code segment to simulate a player attacking an entity (basically auto attack).

Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();
mc.playerController.attackEntity(mc.player, mob);

where mob is an instance of EntityLiving.

The mod works well when playing locally, but when on servers (especially those with RPG game mode), sometimes the targeted entity won't get hurt when executing the statement. 

Does anybody know why it is and how can I modify my code?

Edited by ykozxy

Why are you doing this on the client side?

A better way would be to implement such interactions on the server side.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Why are you doing this on the client side?

A better way would be to implement such interactions on the server side.

Well, I can implement it on the server side, but I'm just confused about the mechanism of the method.xD

AFAIK some server plugins check whether players' actions are valid, and cancel the actions if they are too... abnormal.

8 minutes ago, ykozxy said:

Well, I can implement it on the server side, but I'm just confused about the mechanism of the method.xD

You would be better off to just implement the whole mechanic on the server; this will save a lot of hassle.

• Thanks 1

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

AFAIK some server plugins check whether players' actions are valid, and cancel the actions if they are too... abnormal.

You would be better off to just implement the whole mechanic on the server; this will save a lot of hassle.

Haha thanks, I'll try it.