Performance question about all the getter functions in Forge classes

treebranch

I'm relatively new to Java, and to Forge, and this has been bugging me for a bit. Often times I'll realize I have to call a getter function (e.g. Minecraft.getInstance) every time an event is fired. So to get around this I'll sometimes create a field in the class and set it once. Or in the case of a loop I'll store the value in a local variable and refer back to the variable. I'm used to doing this in languages like C, where optimization and garbage collection isn't exactly the same concept as it is in Java.

So my question is, how much of this is necessary? Does it really matter if I call the getter functions a bunch? Does it add any overhead? Memory leaks? Anything? Why are there so many? Sorry if this is more of a Java question. I'm really only using Java for Forge and so the answer will have a significant impact on how I write mods.

Thanks ?