Adding my mod to controls tab

outflows

Just now, V0idWa1k3r said:

Use the KeyBindings for your key registration/detection and register them using ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding

dangit I was hoping to not have to use the registry stuff because I don't really know how to do all that to be honest. I usually just deal with code manipulation rather than actually implementing new features into the game. If you could help me out a little more with the registry stuff or give me a resource where I can learn it that would be awesome, otherwise I can continue trying to learn it myself.

The key bindings don't have a registry associated with them, just create a new KeyBinding object and register it using ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding during pre-init. That's all you have to do.

To then check whether the key is pressed use KeyBinding#isKeyDown (in a tick event to check if it's hold down) or KeyBinding#isPressed in a KeyEvent to check whether the key being pressed is yours.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

The key bindings don't have a registry associated with them, just create a new KeyBinding object and register it using ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding during pre-init. That's all you have to do.

To then check whether the key is pressed use KeyBinding#isKeyDown (in a tick event to check if it's hold down) or KeyBinding#isPressed in a KeyEvent to check whether the key being pressed is yours.

Is it necessary to create a new KeyBinding object considering that minecraft already has one?

This is what I did:

ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding(new KeyBinding("Initiate Teleport Sequence", 37, "modID"));

Edited by outflows

3 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

...You are creating a new KeyBinding object, or in other words another instance of a KeyBinding class here. new Object != new Class.

What version of the game are you modding for? This isn't a 1.12.2 KeyBinding constructor.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you meant, and yeah I'm in 1.12.2. Also, where would I instantiate that new object in order to call it from outside of my main class? Or should I just instantiate it within the Main class and just use a getter? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm really new at modding and I'm trying to get a sense of how things work.

Edited by outflows

Oh, right, my bad, I am just too used to using the forge-provided constructor and not the default one, you are right.

Don't use a magical number for the key-code, reference them from the Keyboard class.

You would also need to store the KeyBinding object in a field to actually check whether it is pressed or not.

You can instantinate it whereever you like as long as it is not a common class(aka it needs to only be loaded on the client like your client proxy for example).

Edited by V0idWa1k3r

Just now, V0idWa1k3r said:

Oh, right, my bad, I am just too used to using the forge-provided constructor and not the default one, you are right.

Don't use a magical number for the key-code, reference them from the Keyboard class.

You would also need to store the KeyBinding object in a field to actually check whether it is pressed or not.

Yeah I chose 37 on purpose as it was one that wasn't already in use (K). Would I store the object in the main class where I have the preInit and stuff?

7 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

You can store it whereever you like as long as it is not a common class(aka it needs to only be loaded on the client like your client proxy for example).

5 minutes ago, outflows said:

Yeah I chose 37 on purpose as it was one that wasn't already in use (K)

You can still reference it from the Keyboard class instead of using a magical number.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

You can still reference it from the Keyboard class instead of using a magical number.

Oh I wasn't aware that there was a keyboard class. I was just using this as a resource: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Key_codes 

Also, it might be slightly unrelated but do you have any idea how I could make a custom GUI that looks something like the escape menu or even like the control menu? 

5 minutes ago, outflows said:

Also, it might be slightly unrelated but do you have any idea how I could make a custom GUI that looks something like the escape menu or even like the control menu? 

By making a custom class that extends GuiScreen or something and rendering the things as you want here. To see how to render things there you can look at vanilla's classes for examples.

• Thanks 1