Mod for multiplayer on client-side only?

Kozz

I'm attempting to implement a very simple mod for use (by myself) on a multiplayer server.

It's purpose: Keep a count of specific blocks I've acquired, render that information on the screen.

• Event: Player has picked up a block
    • Check if the block is a nether quartz (I'm using silk touch).
      • Add it to a totalNetherQuartz variable, which is later rendered to the screen.

Simple, right?

The problem: Runs fine on single-player; doesn't run on multiplayer. 

• I understand server-side vs. client-side; however, I am unable to find a way to avoid using the server-side.
    • Yes, I have looked at the docs and tutorials. The docs are sparse; tutorials are outdated (MC modding seems to have changed quite significantly in 1.13).

The code:

ExampleMod.java

@Mod("Profit Counter")
public class ExampleMod
{
  public ExampleMod() {
    MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);

// Register my custom event handler.
    EventHandler handler = new EventHandler();
    MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(handler);
  }
}

EventHandler.java

public class EventHandler {
  private int totalNetherQuartz = 0;

@SubscribeEvent
  public void onPlayerPickup(EntityItemPickupEvent event) {
    EntityItem item = event.getItem();
    if (item.getName().toString().contains("nether_quartz_ore")) { // I'm sure there's a better way to check for this, but this functions.
      totalNetherQuartz += 1;
    }
  }

@SubscribeEvent
  public void onRender(TickEvent.RenderTickEvent event) {
    if (Minecraft.getInstance().isGameFocused()) {
      Minecraft.getInstance().fontRenderer.drawStringWithShadow("Testing", 5, 5, 0xffFFFFFF); // This runs client-side, before even connecting.
      Minecraft.getInstance().fontRenderer.drawStringWithShadow(Integer.toString(totalNetherQuartz), 15, 5, 0xffFFFFFF); // Changes in single-player; does not work in multiplayer.
    }
  }
}

What steps must I take in order to get this working on a multiplayer server?

• Before you scream "client-side proxy" at me - please explain (or show me where I can find) how to set this up, since the tutorials for doing this in 1.12 no longer work, and the docs explain absolutely nothing other than the fact that you need one.
Edited by Kozz

What you're probably missing is the declaration that tells Forge "this is client only."

Its part of the @mod annotation, but I don't remember the necessary syntax.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

@Mod(clientSideOnly=true)

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

4 hours ago, Kozz said:

Before you scream "client-side proxy" at me - please explain (or show me where I can find) how to set this up, since the tutorials for doing this in 1.12 no longer work, and the docs explain absolutely nothing other than the fact that you need one.

public static final IProxy PROXY = DistExecutor.executeForDist(()->()->new ClientProxy(), ()->()->new ServerProxy());

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

50 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

What you're probably missing is the declaration that tells Forge "this is client only."

13 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

public static final IProxy PROXY = DistExecutor.executeForDist(()->()->new ClientProxy(), ()->()->new ServerProxy());

When I call "@Mod", the only parameter it will accept is a String.

This works fine:

@Mod("test")

If I try:

@Mod(modid="test")

Or 

@Mod(clientSideOnly = true)

I get a "Cannot resolve method 'modid'" or "Cannot resolve method 'clientSideOnly'"

Why is this?

Edited by Kozz

@Mod only takes the Mod ID in 1.13.2

All the rest goes in the mods.toml, however to my knowledge clientSideOnly and serverSideOnly have not been carried over, I believe because they were already legacy and essentially deprecated without being marked so.

• Like 1

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

Just now, DaemonUmbra said:

@Mod only takes the Mod ID in 1.13.2

essentially deprecated without being marked so.

This is the kind of stuff that stresses me out! :(

It seems any new modder like me has come into a rough time... heck, it seems like a lot of experienced modders are even having trouble ATM.

Do you have any recommendation for how I can figure this out?

Without seeing all your code I can make suggestions but honestly I'd rather test them myself before I suggest them, is your code on GitHub?

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
    1. git init
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)

1 minute ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Without seeing all your code I can make suggestions but honestly I'd rather test them myself before I suggest them, is your code on GitHub?

You're looking at all the source code :P

It's just the default example mod (hence class ExampleMod) with one new class added, which is listed.

I started simple... which is still too complicated for me I guess. :(

No point in me adding any more until I can get this figured out.

I'm currently reading this thread, this user is facing the same issue as me.

Apparently my issue is simply trying to use a server side event on client-side only.

Even with a client side proxy, or a "@Mod(clientSideOnly = true)", it appears this wouldn't work (although I may be wrong.)

I need a client-side event I can use in order to determine how much of a specific item I have gathered.

I think I know how this can be done, but I need to check before I put my foot in my mouth

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

There is no way to do this purely client-side.

There is an !isRemote guard before this event would ever be on the (logical)client.

Because this cannot be done purely client-side you would also need to get into packets to get it working with the way things stand.

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

3 hours ago, Draco18s said:

it's @OnlyIn(Dist.CLIENT) I think.

Edited by Krevik

10 minutes ago, Krevik said:

it's @OnlyIn(Dist.CLIENT) I think.

No.

That is not a magic annotation that makes your code sided, it is an annotation that will cause a crash if a class annotated with it is loaded on the side other than what is specified in the annotation.

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

7 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

No.

That is not a magic annotation that makes your code sided, it is an annotation that will cause a crash if a class annotated with it is loaded on the side other than what is specified in the annotation.

Ohh thank you, I didn't know actually :D

9 hours ago, Kozz said:

It seems any new modder like me has come into a rough time... heck, it seems like a lot of experienced modders are even having trouble ATM.

I mean...its still in beta...

What'd you expect?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

I mean...its still in beta...

What'd you expect?

Solid documentation is what I'd expect.

Detailed descriptions of every class and method... It's pretty standard.

Beta is no excuse not to have this. They don't provide it for old methods either.

Honestly, their documentation is more like a wiki page.

An outdated one at that.

I followed the docs step-by-step for setting up the workspace, only to find the steps they provide on the FIRST PAGE are outdated, so I had to turn to the forums for that too.

Edited by Kozz

Free and open source project with relatively few people working on it IN THEIR SPARE TIME.

If you are unhappy with the documentation, learn the code and document it yourself, the main crew are a bit preoccupied with getting everything back up and running.

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push