How do i make a block colorable exactly like the leather-armour?

Drachenbauer

@Override
public TileEntity createTileEntity(World world, IBlockState state)
{
	return new TileEntityBlockColors();
}

This style (i found in the sample, placed the name of my TileEntity inside) does not work for me, it wants to have something in the round braces and curly braces after that line instead of ";"

You need to properly instantiate your class. Look at your class’s constructor and see what it needs in there

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

14 hours ago, Drachenbauer said:

@Override
{
}

This style (i found in the sample, placed the name of my TileEntity inside) does not work for me, it wants to have something in the round braces and curly braces after that line instead of ";"

Check your constructor.

Also, make sure you know java before trying to make a mod.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

@Drachenbauer I think you have to start with something like this:

https://www.amazon.de/Programmieren-lernen-mit-Java-Programmieranfänger/dp/3836256053/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=java+kurs&qid=1552152714&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I presume from your nick and your posts, you're more familiar with German than English ... (no, I won't get any bonus from other ppl clicking on the link)

Modding is not just clicking some bits of code together copied (aka stolen) from other ppl, but intrinsic understanding programming as a craft. If you do not, you will not be successful with any kind of more sophisticated mod.

This does not imply by any means others will not help you with their code samples. Just check one of the threads I had started earlier in this forum where I've discussed torch placement. There another modder basically told me "I am doing it like this" in two lines of code. I checked what the lines are doing, converted to my needs and implemented them into my code.

My code is openly available on gitHub, like so many other mods sources. I encourage everybody to check it out and learn from it, like I like to read other modders codes to better understand what's going on. But I would not plainly copy their code, nor would I be very happy when other ppl are coping my code...

So, your course of action would be

- learn programming

- learn Java

- understand forge (at least a bit, I still are puzzled about it every now and then ;D)

- start modding

Edited by Torojima

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

indeed, the link is for buying a book. There are other books and I have merely linked the first one I came across ...

You could also went to the local Library and read one for free ...

Yes there are as well free Java tutorials in the world wide web ...

I am very confused you have not searched for them yourself at this point?!

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

23 minutes ago, Drachenbauer said:

it´s because i thaught, i know enough, because i successfully wrote little ganes with a programming-system, called "scratch" and also wrote scripts for objects in seccond life.

Scratch isn't programming.

Well, it is, but it is to programming what riding a tricycle is to riding a motorcycle. It holds your hand so much and hides away complex systems (like what classes are and how to use them) that saying "I made a game in scratch" is about as useful to making a Minecraft mod is by saying "I wrote a book about Minecraft."

Second Life's scripting language similarly hides away those kinds of details (not due to making it easy-to-use, like Scratch, but rather due to the technical specifications of how Linden Labs wanted to insure that any code being executed on any object could be paused, serialized, and deserialized, and restarted at any point in its execution, including in the middle of a command), and thus, also rather useless. The fact that some (very smart) people have done very impressive things with LSL doesn't mean that because you know LSL you can write Java. That'd be like me saying that I've published a best selling novel in English, so next I'll try Chinese.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Haha 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

My daughter (12) is using scratch to program a little cozmo robot and the Lego robotics system ... Everybody is hyping this scratch stuff over the horizon ... I am not convinced it is much more than a toy. It will give some rather shallow insights into programming, but will not teach anything about programming structures. Neither functional, nor object oriented ... Yes, it is possible to create some impressive stuff using scratch. I have seen a complete PID controller programmed in scratch, holding a Lego Robot on two wheels in the upright position. The script is completely mind bending, but it can be done. Nevertheless, the ppl doing that have used their deep understanding of programming and PID controllers received before playing with scratch, to do so :D

@Draco18s Hehe, your analogy is splendid, I love it :D

Edit.: second life is still a thing? I thought it died a well deserved death ages ago?

Edited by Torojima

2 hours ago, Torojima said:

Edit.: second life is still a thing? I thought it died a well deserved death ages ago?

Yep. Its still around.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

4 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Well, it is, but it is to programming what riding a tricycle is to riding a motorcycle.

I think that Scratch is to programming what crawling is to flying an airplane (or at least to driving a car). 

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

9 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Scratch isn't programming.

Scratch actually made its way into the top 20 programming language (TIOBE monthly index) in 2018 2017.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/scratch/

Yes, this burns me as well.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Scratch actually made its way into the top 20 programming language (TIOBE index) in 2018.

Yes, this burns me as well.

[citation-needed] as it is not currently in the top 50.

11 hours ago, Drachenbauer said:

Now i look, if i can learn something from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1fu6f8Hto

I am still convinced a book is much better in the long run than any video.

in a book you can

• mark pages with postits for later reference
  • stop and exercise the learned yourself
  • jump back and forth to your hearts content in seconds
  • have the book next to your computer and using the monitor to actually doing what is described in the book
  • reading it offline, for example sitting in the garden (ok, not very good right now in middle of Europe :) )

Videos are good for collecting a first impression, but in my experience, you'll need more than that. For example ... a book...

If you don't want to pay the full price, buy a used book (rebuy.de, booklooker.de or ebay.de). Still I think you'll find many good books in your local library (they still a think in Germany, they are fully governmental subsidised and you will find a lot of good books, not only for programming, but everything else, including fiction.... read a book!). Last, but not least, if you can buy a computer, you can buy a book for 20 bucks. Invest in your future... I like the "Head First" approach, so look for "Head First Java" or in German "Java von Kopf bis Fuß". You will get it on amazon.de in the used section for 20 bucks ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drachenbauer said:

Another qoestion:

If i want to create a recipe-json for dying my block, what must i put into the result-area (just the registry-name of my block gives just a white one)?

IRecipe implementation.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

Someone told me, that i have to use a block-entity to manage the colors.

And i have a problem with it´s constructor:

On 3/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, Drachenbauer said:

@Override
{
}

This style (i found in the sample, placed the name of my TileEntity inside) does not work for me, it wants to have something in the round braces.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:06 PM, Cadiboo said:

You need to properly instantiate your class. Look at your class’s constructor and see what it needs in there

On 3/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, DavidM said:

Check your constructor.

this is the constructor

public TileEntityBlockColors(TileEntityType<?> tileEntityTypeIn)
	{
		super(tileEntityTypeIn);
	}

But i´m still nut sure, what i have to place in the round braces of the "new TileEntityBlockcolors" - thing for "TileEntityType"...

Edited by Drachenbauer

Your

On 3/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, Drachenbauer said:

TileEntityType

About Me

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Drachenbauer said:

how do i create my own tile entity type?

You create a class extending tile entity.

You might want to look up the docs first though.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler