forge installer is taking absurdly long. How to speed it up?

tehftw

I'm running Linux Mint 19, and tried to install forge 1.12.2-14.23.5.2768 (recommended), but the same problem happens with latest version( 1.12.2-14.23.5.2808 ). I ran

How can i make the installation process faster? Currently, it has taken up an absurd amount of time, and I don't think I even got to 40% of installation process.

What argument do I have to pass, in order for it to download libraries uncompressed? Or to have it use my system's xz decompressor instead of whatever it is using currently? The unpacking process has already taken up a completely ridiculous amount of time without getting any big progress. Currently I'm stuck on scala-library-2.11.1 - this library has 6 megabytes. With my system's xz decompression, it was unpacked in less than 30 seconds. forge installer was unpacking it for 5 minutes, and got only 100 kilobytes of it out.

I tried manipulating the memory with -Xms1G -Xmx2G, but it didn't help either.

I'm almost certain there is something really wrong with the forge installer, as it straight up doesn't make sense what happens. I already downloaded a few libraries manually and inserted them into directories, but that didn't work with all. Each time, it downloads the .jar.pack.xz, checks the hashes, and starts unpacking it. The time it takes to do so is completely absurd.

Unpacking progresses at a rate of up to a few kilobytes per second. One example of what I did manually: the installer was unpacking com.typesafe.config, after 20 minutes I didn't see it even close to finishing. In that time, I found the library, downloaded uncompressed .jar, and inserted the file into proper directory. With each library, I had to restart the launcher, wait until it redownloads and checks things, and only then can i look for the missing library. If at the very least, it gave a full list of all the libraries and places so I could painstakingly download everything from maven repository myself. But no, it only downloads them one at a time.

Log: https://pastebin.com/AeZ2WcZ0

Spoiler

java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true Considering library net.minecraftforge:forge:1.12.2-14.23.5.2808: Not Downloading {Wrong Side} Considering library net.minecraft:launchwrapper:1.12: Not Downloading {Wrong Side} Considering library org.ow2.asm:asm-all:5.2 Considering library org.jline:jline:3.5.1: Not Downloading {Wrong Side} Considering library net.java.dev.jna:jna:4.4.0: Not Downloading {Wrong Side} Considering library com.typesafe.akka:akka-actor_2.11:2.3.3 Checking "/home/tehftw/.minecraft/libraries/com/typesafe/akka/akka-actor_2.11/2.3.3/akka-actor_2.11-2.3.3.jar" internal checksums checksums.sha1 validated successfully Jar contents validated successfully Considering library com.typesafe:config:1.2.1 Considering library org.scala-lang:scala-actors-migration_2.11:1.1.0 Checking "/home/tehftw/.minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-actors-migration_2.11/1.1.0/scala-actors-migration_2.11-1.1.0.jar" internal checksums checksums.sha1 validated successfully Jar contents validated successfully Considering library org.scala-lang:scala-compiler:2.11.1 Considering library org.scala-lang.plugins:scala-continuations-library_2.11:1.0.2 Checking "/home/tehftw/.minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/plugins/scala-continuations-library_2.11/1.0.2/scala-continuations-library_2.11-1.0.2.jar" internal checksums checksums.sha1 validated successfully Jar contents validated successfully Considering library org.scala-lang.plugins:scala-continuations-plugin_2.11.1:1.0.2 Checking "/home/tehftw/.minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/plugins/scala-continuations-plugin_2.11.1/1.0.2/scala-continuations-plugin_2.11.1-1.0.2.jar" internal checksums checksums.sha1 validated successfully Jar contents validated successfully Considering library org.scala-lang:scala-library:2.11.1 Checking "/home/tehftw/.minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-library/2.11.1/scala-library-2.11.1.jar" internal checksums checksums.sha1 was not found, validation failed Downloading library org.scala-lang:scala-library:2.11.1 Unpacking packed file scala-library-2.11.1.jar.pack.xz Signed Checksum Length: 341368 Total Length: 5984083 Temp File: /tmp/art1532384963452271389.pack

Edited by tehftw
minor correction for clarity