[1.12.2] `--refresh-dependencies` Never Works [SOLVED]

ModMCdl

Hello. This is a problem unique to me I find on my dev team, so I'm pretty sure it's just a problem with either a : my gradle setup, b : my java setup, or c : just my system in general.

Whenever I try to reload the dependencies in our mod's build.gradle file, the command prompt reports success, but the dependencies either aren't added at all, or if they're already there, they aren't updated. I usually need to end up packaging what I have, and getting the correctly updated source from another team member. 

Does anyone know what possible causes for this exist, and any solutions for proposed cause?

(Again, everyone else can refresh and update it fine, so I'm 99% that it isn't a problem with the build.gradle, but I'll link it anyways: https://github.com/CammiePone/Voidaic-Arcania/blob/master/build.gradle)

Edited by ModMCdl
solved

Follow these rules when talking to me, and we'll get along fine.

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

ModMCdl - Co-Founder and Director of Design for Artemis Game Studios

You should try gradle cleanCache and if that doesn’t work manually delete your master gradle cache at ~/gradle

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

16 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

You should try gradle cleanCache and if that doesn’t work manually delete your master gradle cache at ~/gradle

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Neither of those solutions worked. However, after clearing the cache, CMD threw up a whole lot of "expired" or "invalid" cookie errors, yet still managed to complete successfully. 

1).I know Java fairly well. I don't know as much about modding. They are not the same, don't compare them.

2). I consider myself to always be learning. I make mistakes, you make mistakes. Who doesn't?

3). Insult me, and I will leave the thread. I have a real life, I don't have time to throw petty insults in a Minecraft Modding forum.

I'd try more things and offer more information, but I really am lost here. After trying to crack it for most of today, I still have no idea what the problem is, as it is an isolated incident on the team for me and me alone. I've rebuilt my dev environment several times, and cross-checked the build.gradle as well, and I can't find anything. 

I've spoken with other members of my dev team to try and see what they did to get it working, but all of them said "it just worked for them," so I really can't offer much more.

What IDE do you use?

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

1 minute ago, Cadiboo said:

What IDE do you use?

Eclipse

What happens when you

- move eclipse to a new dummy workspace

- close eclipse

- run gradlew cleanCache

- delete your master gradle cache in your home folder

- delete the project folder completely

- download the appropriate Forge MDK

- do the setup in the new MDK (gradlew sDw & eclipse)

- open eclipse and set its workspace to the new MDK’s workspace (dont select the /eclipse folder as the workspace, select the MDK folder as the workspace) I always got confused if I should launch the project in /eclipse or the root of the MDK

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

What happens when you

- move eclipse to a new dummy workspace

- close eclipse

- run gradlew cleanCache

- delete your master gradle cache in your home folder

- delete the project folder completely

- download the appropriate Forge MDK

- do the setup in the new MDK (gradlew sDw & eclipse)

- open eclipse and set its workspace to the new MDK’s workspace (dont select the /eclipse folder as the workspace, select the MDK folder as the workspace)

Setting the workspace to the MDK rather than /eclipse results in an empty workspace, and won't allow me to import the project because "the project already exists in the workspace." Why shouldn't I set it up in the /eclipse directory?

Okay, I finally figured it out with help from MDC. It's not the best way to do it, but it's the only way I've found so far that works.

If/when a dependency is added or updated, I need to:

1. push all my changes to a branch of the git repo, (git checkout -b new_branch_name, then commit and push)
  2. delete everything in the folder except for my .git folder,
  3. unpack the forge mdk in the empty folder,
  4. hard reset my local repo to the master branch of the git repo, (git reset --hard origin/master)
  5. run gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse
  6. grab whatever necessary changes from your previous code in the new branch
  7. launch eclipse in a new workspace located in the /eclipse folder

I was told by someone else that the /eclipse folder is already all set up with the project files for eclipse so that you do not need to import the project afterwards (which always causes problems).

For those having this problem in the future: if you're not using git for your project, you can just copy the /src folder to a safe location to save your work, and replace it when you've rebuilt the environment.