How to make block give item on right click + change into other block

lightningdragonx5

So basically I'm trying to make a leaf block with fruit on it that, when right clicked:

1. gives the player the fruit item, or drops it at their feet if their inventory is full.

Not exactly sure how to do that nicely. Directly adding it to the player inventory (player.inventory.add) resulted in some really weird stuff going on. Something tells me that's not a method I should be using.

Spawning it as an EntityItem in the world spawns it as a ghost item that can't be picked up even if I stand on it, or drop other normal versions of the item right next to the ghost items. It also isn't destroyed by lava.

2. changes the leaf block into the version that doesn't have fruit (note that said version is a different block altogether).

For this I tried using worldIn.setBlockState but that doesn't actually do anything - the block blinks with the texture of the fruit-less version for a split second and then immediately turns back into the fruit version, which can be right-clicked once again for the same result.

How would I go about doing these?

Edited by lightningdragonx5

4 hours ago, lightningdragonx5 said:

Spawning it as an EntityItem in the world spawns it as a ghost item that can't be picked up even if I stand on it

Make sure you call World#isRemote to check whether you're working with a client "dummy" world. Normally you would do this kind of stuff on the server world, i.e. something like if(!world.isRemote()) .

15 hours ago, MichaelVitrio said:

Make sure you call World#isRemote to check whether you're working with a client "dummy" world. Normally you would do this kind of stuff on the server world, i.e. something like if(!world.isRemote()) .

I did. Below is my current code, what could I be doing wrong?

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)
    {
        if(!worldIn.isRemote)
        {
            return false;
        }

System.out.println(this.fruit);

EntityItem droppedFruit = new EntityItem(worldIn, pos.getX(), pos.getY(), pos.getZ(), new ItemStack(this.fruit, 1));
        worldIn.spawnEntity(droppedFruit);

worldIn.setBlockState(pos, this.baseLeaves.getDefaultState());

return true;
    }

Edited by lightningdragonx5