Custom Block Map Colors?

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a way to create custom map colors. I've tried this:

@Override
	public MapColor getMapColor(IBlockState state, IBlockAccess worldIn, BlockPos pos)
    {
		return new MapColor(52, 8801331);

}

However, MapColor has a private constructor, so this doesn't work. Any solutions? Would making my own class that extends MapColor work or be the most efficient?

On 12/28/2018 at 8:08 AM, Wolftopia said:

However, MapColor has a private constructor, so this doesn't work. Any solutions?

You could use reflection.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:08 AM, Wolftopia said:

Would making my own class that extends MapColor work or be the most efficient?

The problem with that is that you can't call super in your constructor since the constructor of the original class is private. And you must call it because MapColor doesn't provide a parameterless constructor.

Alternatively I suppose you could use access transformers, but that is not an ideal solution. Or you could submit a PR to forge.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:08 PM, Wolftopia said:

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is a way to create custom map colors. I've tried this:

@Override
	public MapColor getMapColor(IBlockState state, IBlockAccess worldIn, BlockPos pos)
    {
		return new MapColor(52, 8801331);

}

However, MapColor has a private constructor, so this doesn't work. Any solutions? Would making my own class that extends MapColor work or be the most efficient?

1) Its private because MapColor is an enum, not a class, you aren't supposed to be creating new instances.

2) Extending the enum is meaningless as MapItemRenderer does not use YourMapColor, it uses MapColor. And it wouldn't work anyway because the superclass constructor is private, not protected.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

MapColor is not an enum. However, it is not a good idea to try adding additional instances, as there are only a few available slots for them, and no way of avoiding ID collisions.

In any case, returning a new instance from the getter is also incorrect, a fixed value should be used.