1.12 -> 1.13 NBT Structure Concerns

Catastrophe

I'm new to Minecraft modding and my first idea for a mod involves a lot of structures. Something like Roguelike Dungeons. So far I have a proof of concept working where I can I build a single room in creative mode, save it in NBT format using vanilla structure blocks, embed that NBT file in my mod, and summon it at will.

I'm thinking ahead to 1.13 (and 1.14) and I'd like to use some of the new blocks and especially the new water mechanics in my dungeons. Of course FML isn't available for 1.13 yet so I don't really know what the future holds. But I assume it is bad news? I assume that if I spend a lot of time making structures in 1.12.2 that they will not load in 1.13 due to the changed block ids? And my 1.12.2 worlds will surely not load in 1.13 either. My mod is barely started so it's not a problem yet. But since I'm new I thought I'd ask for advice anyway.

(Just for the sake of science I tried to load a 1.13 structure in my 1.12.2 mod, and strangely every block imported as an air block except for the iron bars. I couldn't figure that one out.)

Wait for forge to come out first. Worst case scenario is you looking at the way the world data fixer works and writing a similar script that would convert your structure files.

10 hours ago, Catastrophe said:

And my 1.12.2 worlds will surely not load in 1.13 either.

Yes they will, after being converted to a new format. There have been numerous format changes in the past, like the blockid -> registry name transition, or block+meta pair -> blockstate id transition and yet if you had an alpha world you would still be able to open it in the latest version of the game.

10 hours ago, Catastrophe said:

Just for the sake of science I tried to load a 1.13 structure in my 1.12.2 mod, and strangely every block imported as an air block except for the iron bars. I couldn't figure that one out

This is likely due to flattening.

You're right! Vanilla Minecraft imported my 1.12.2 world into 1.13 flawlessly. So I can use 1.12.2 to practice and build. There's still plenty of work I can do with placeholders while I wait. And then once 1.13 truly arrives I can just revisit my structure blocks and hit save once each. (I think they accept a redstone signal but I'm not going to be silly.)