[1.12] I can't rap my head around capabilities, but I know I need to use them.

TheGoldenProof

When I was reading through the Forge Documentation I got to the Capabilities section. It seemed like whatever capabilities were, they were useful. I need to use something to store information about an ItemStack, and so I think Capabilities are the best way to do that. I started re-reading the forge documentation on it, and I have read it at least 10 times, but It is a complete word salad. I also couldn't find much on how to make them online anywhere, so I guess here is the best place to go next. If someone could explain Capabilities and how I would attach a capability to an ItemStack or send me a really good link I would be very happy. Thanks :)

22 minutes ago, TheGoldenProof said:

If someone could explain Capabilities and how I would attach a capability to an ItemStack or send me a really good link I would be very happy.

First lets establish some of the parameters of the situation.

• What are you wanting to store?
  • Will it only be stored on one of your Items?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

What are you wanting to store?

I wan't this special stick to be sharpened into a sword, but I need it to be crafted with something multiple times, so I wan't to store how many times its been "sharpened"

2 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Will it only be stored on one of your Items?

yes.

1 minute ago, TheGoldenProof said:

I wan't this special stick to be sharpened into a sword, but I need it to be crafted with something multiple times, so I wan't to store how many times its been "sharpened"

This requires you to create your own capability and register it.

To create your own Capability create a public static final Capability<Type> field and annotate it with @CababilityInject

@CapabilityInject(value = Type.class)
public static final Capability<Type> CAPABILITY; // Where type is a class that stores the information that you want. In your case probably a byte or a int.

Then you will have to register it. Via CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register

The parameters are the Type class from above, an instance of IStorage which you will need to create, and a Callable that returns an instance of your Type from above.

7 minutes ago, TheGoldenProof said:

yes.

Then just override initCapabilities in your Items class, and return a new instance of ICapabilitySerializable and handle those methods.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

32 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

and a Callable that returns an instance of your Type from above.

So my type is byte, but in my callable class:

public class CapabilityFactory implements Callable<Byte>{

@Override
	public Byte call() throws Exception {
		return new Byte();
	}

}

is says "The Constructor Byte() is undefined" because there's no empty constructor, only of (byte var1) and (String var1), so how would I make it return an instance of Byte?

Edited by TheGoldenProof

1 minute ago, TheGoldenProof said:

So my type is byte, but in my callable class:

Sorry I wasn't very clear about this, your Type needs to be your own class or another class not directly a primitive class. Because as you have witnessed you can't just instantiate a Byte or an Integer.