1.12.2 - Natural spawning entities

projectmayhem1983

When registering(or rather creating EntityEntry for your entity but if you are doing things correctly you are doing both on the same line of code anyway) your entities use the EntityEntryBuilder#spawn to add your entity entry to biomes listed in order for your entity to spawn in them.

...Although I suspect that whatever tutorial you are watching is telling you to use EntityRegistry. Which is an outdated way of registering entities and you should not be using it. Am I correct?

As a side note I would also recommend not using tutorials on youtube at all. They are created by people who also just started modding, picked up all the wrong ideas and practices but are eager to share their discoveries with the world. I have yet to see a modern, good tutorial on youtube.

I have this in my RegistryHandler.java file

public static void preInitRegistries()
	{
		EntityInit.registerEntities();
		RenderHandler.registerEntityRenders();
	}

Assuming that is what you are referring to. I'm 100% new to all this, trying to use it as a way to learn java, while also reading books. My actual EntityInfernoSkeleton.java file is pretty much a copy/pasted version of EntitySkeleton, but removed the burning in sunlight.
Is there a good tutorial series , not on youtube , that I should look at?

Ahhh, think I understand the part you are talking about now, its in my EntityInit file.

package com.projectmayhem1983.skeletonmod.init;

import com.projectmayhem1983.skeletonmod.Main;
import com.projectmayhem1983.skeletonmod.util.Reference;

import com.projectmayhem1983.skeletonmod.entity.EntityInfernoSkeleton;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.EntityRegistry;

public class EntityInit {

public static void registerEntities()
	{
		registerEntity("infernoskeleton", EntityInfernoSkeleton.class, Reference.ENTITY_INFERNO, 50, 16777215, 8519680);
	}
	public static void registerEntity(String name, Class<? extends Entity> entity, int id, int range, int color1, int color2)
	{
		EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + name), entity, name, id, Main.instance, range, 1, true, color1, color2);
	}
}

This is the part you were asking about, right?

23 minutes ago, projectmayhem1983 said:

Is there a good tutorial series , not on youtube , that I should look at?

Well you could read forge's official docs. They are not exactly a tutorial though. 

Apart from that not really, I haven't seen any good tutorial. Even praised modders like McJty make numerous mistakes in their tutorials and enforce cargo-cult programming. I guess the best way to learn is to consult forge docs, look at some open-source mods that are trustworthy, look at vanilla and ask on these forums. I could recommend some repositories I've looked at and they look fine to me - here, here, here, here is mine. Anyone is also welcome to cotribute their repositories if they want to and they feel confident enough in them.

23 minutes ago, projectmayhem1983 said:

public static void preInitRegistries() { EntityInit.registerEntities(); RenderHandler.registerEntityRenders(); }

Yeah, this just screams instantinating at wrong time & place. Also it likely calls client-side only code in a common environment which will crash the server.

14 minutes ago, projectmayhem1983 said:

Ahhh, think I understand the part you are talking about now, its in my EntityInit file.

Yeah, this is the outdated way to register your entities. Entities are now registered with EntityEntry which is a IForgeRegistryEntry itself so it has a propper registry event fired for it.

Basically subscribe to RegistryEvent.Register<EntityEntry> and use EntityEntryBuilder to register your entities in that event directly. Like this:

@SubscribeEvent
public static void onEntityRegistry(RegistryEvent.Register<EntityEntry> event)
{
    event.getRegistry().register(EntityEntryBuilder.create().entity(YourEntity.class).id(new ResourceLocation(MODID, NAME), NETWORK_ID).name(NAME).tracker(RANGE, FREQUENCY, SEND_VELOCITY).spawn(EnumCreatureType.WANTED_TYPE, WEIGHT, MIN, MAX, BIOMES).egg(COLOR_FORE, COLOR_BACK).build());
}

• Like 1

Looking at the second example you linked, and I think it helped a lot. The only problem I have now, is in my RegistryHandler file, this part comes up as an error....

public static void preInitRegistries()
	{
		EntityInit.registerEntities();    <-----Error here. The method resisterEntities is undefined for the type EntityInit
		RenderHandler.registerEntityRenders();
	}

Probably something simple that I'm not understanding as a novice. But in my EntityInit file, I have this...

@SubscribeEvent
		public static void registerEntities(final RegistryEvent.Register<EntityEntry> event) {
			final EntityEntry[] entries = {
					createBuilder("inferno_skeleton")
							.entity(EntityInfernoSkeleton.class)
							.tracker(80, 3, true)
							.build()
			}

Do I just need to get rid of the Entity.registerEntities() in my RegistryHandler? Or do I still need it there?

Also, thank you for the help and references so far. Having fully functional mods to look at helps a lot. Seems to be a lot of different ways you can approach doing things, which makes it a little confusing for a new person.

EDIT - Tested it out after deleting the RegistryHandler entry, and the mob spawned at night, so that works, but the spawn egg vanished, so gotta work on that now. Thank again for your help!

Edited by projectmayhem1983

10 minutes ago, projectmayhem1983 said:

Do I just need to get rid of the Entity.registerEntities() in my RegistryHandler? Or do I still need it there?

Well obviously if you've deleted the method you can't keep a reference to it. This is basic java.

Also make sure your event handler is actually registered. And it would probably help if you were to actually register the EntityEntry objects you are creating instead of putting them into an array and doing nothing with said array.

The rest of the file does something with the array. I have just one last question though, why isn't the new code I used above considered a method? Is it because of the stuff inside the parentheses? 

public static void registerEntities(final RegistryEvent.Register<EntityEntry> event)

The old method I was using had nothing.

Sorry if this is a really noob question, just wanting to understand what made it not a valid method so I don't have to ask these questions in the future.

10 minutes ago, projectmayhem1983 said:

why isn't the new code I used above considered a method?

I don't even know what you are trying to say. The code you've provided declares a valid method. There is nothing wrong about it. You might want to learn java before trying to create mods for the game otherwise it will be like assembling a rocket without any instructions. 

I guess that is what I am confused about then. I was trying to call the method in my RegistryHandler , but it was saying it was undefined. No worries though, like I said, it works now. I've got a few java books I'm reading though, I learn best hands on though, so I been reading during my breaks at work, then working on this mod on my off days to try and get some hands on experience with what I've read. Just sometimes, like this, I just don't comprehend why it was giving me an error.

• 1 year later...

@SubscribeEvent
		public static void registerEntities(final RegistryEvent.Register<EntityEntry> event) {
					createBuilder("inferno_skeleton")
							.entity(EntityInfernoSkeleton.class)
							.tracker(80, 3, true)
							.build()
			}

Hi could you help me please because When I did the thing that you do I got a error at the creatbuilder line and the error say "Create method 'createBuilder(String)' "

here is my EntityInit file:

package com.azizsmod.aziz.init;

import com.azizsmod.aziz.entity.EntityCoyoteMob;
import com.azizsmod.aziz.util.handlers.ConfigHandler;

import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.EntityEntry;

public class EntityInit  
{ 
	/*
	{
		registerEntity("Coyote", EntityCoyoteMob.class, ConfigHandler.ENTITY_COYOTE, 50, 16777215, 8519680);
	}
	*/

@SubscribeEvent
				createBuilder("Coyote") //----------- error is here :(
						.entity(EntityCoyoteMob.class)
						.tracker(50, 3, true)
						.build()
			};
		}

/*
	private static void registerEntity(String name, Class<? extends Entity> entity, int id, int range, int color1, int color2)
	{
		EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + name), entity, name, id, azizsmod.instance, range, 1, true, color1, color2);
	}
    	*/
}

Edited by Aziz