Curious

FormSans

Since this is such a big update for forge, is there a way to keep more in the loop of updates of how far the team will be till done? Or any ways people can help, other than to not ask for 'when will it be done' threads? And I am not asking when it is is done, just how to be kept in the loop of how far you guys have been able to be with it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FormSans said:

Since this is such a big update for forge, is there a way to keep more in the loop of updates of how far the team will be till done? Or any ways people can help, other than to not ask for 'when will it be done' threads? And I am not asking when it is is done, just how to be kept in the loop of how far you guys have been able to be with it.

I agree! A percentage of completion shown on the main download page would be great! Or just something to show people how far development is. If there's anything I've learnt in my career, it's that people don't like to be kept out of the loop or uninformed about something they invest a lot of time into. People like to see progress.

This would be beneficial to people so they can clearly see progress, and it would be beneficial to the devs because it would lift a weight off of their shoulders by not having to deal with people constantly asking about progress or if it's done yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can view the entirety of Forge 1.13 here: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/tree/1.13-pre?files=1

I think that Forge 1.13 is 80-90% done based on:

- Forge Gradle 3 is finished (this was the part that unexpectedly took the longest)

- I believe the MCP mappings are pretty much done for 1.13

- From what I’ve seen on the comits they’ve managed to get Forge 1.13 (without all the patches) to compile and run (I’m traveling right now so I can’t test it and confirm it myself)

- I judge that the rewriting of the mod loading system is probably more than half done as they’ve already merged Minecraft and MCP into 1 “mod” with the new loading system (I think the new loading system is amazing and is a massive upgrade from the previous system)

- I think that the remaining 10-20% of work is going to be going through all the patches from 1.12.x and seeing if they still need to exist and if so what changes have to be made to them because of changes to the vanilla code. Here’s the list of patches to review https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/5162

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

On 10/2/2018 at 2:10 AM, Cadiboo said:

I think that Forge 1.13 is 80-90% done based on:

80-90% over the course of roughly 2 ½ months so maybe 1-2 more weeks until completion then maybe hopefully. Hopefully 1.13 isn't a drastic change in terms of converting mods to be compatible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haze33E said:

80-90% over the course of roughly 2 ½ months so maybe 1-2 more weeks until completion then maybe hopefully. Hopefully 1.13 isn't a drastic change in terms of converting mods to be compatible.

I think that the actual code of mods will remain pretty much the same (except for removing getStateFromMeta & getMetaFromState). The mod loading system has changed massively though & the only thing you put in your @Mod annotation is your ModID, with everything else being put in a META.INF file. However all this should take under 10 mins.

Theres also the conversion from .lang to .json

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

I just meant in terms of mod makers being able to convert their mods without some lengthy process or having to remake them from the ground up. There's a list of mods I would love to use in 1.13 and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long for the conversions after forge for 1.13 comes out. 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, Cadiboo said:

However all this should take under 10 mins.

So if the mod makers know all this mod conversions for 1.13 shouldn't take long depending on how active the mod makers are. Good to know now I just need to hope all the mods I use have active creators.

What I said about only taking 10 mins was refactoring your @Mod annotation

I’ll break down the times (that I think it would take, from my Modding experience):

Refactoring @Mod annotation to META.INF file: 5-10 minutes (5 mins for basic mods, 10 mins for mods with dependencies)

Rewriting .lang to .json: 5 mins (10 mins if you do it all by hand, 2 mins if you use a tool to do it, 15 secs if your already prepared for it)

Flattening & removing getStateFromMeta & getMetaFromState: about 10 mins per block (5min for simple blocks with variants stored in meta, 10 mins for blocks with multiple types & variants stored in meta, already done if you prepared for it)

Changing OreDictionary to the Tag System: about 2 minutes per OreDictionary entry

Updating texture references (“/blocks/“ to “/block/“): 5 mins (15 seconds for a well written mod, 5min for a badly written one, 15min for a horribly written one)

Updating model variants (“normal” to “”): 10 mins (15sec for a well written mod, 10 for a badly written one, 15 for a horribly written one)

Moving data from /assets/ to /data/: 1min

Rewriting mod functionality: between 0 and infinite minutes, it depends 100% on what the mod did - some devs may not have to do anything, some may have so much work that they give up and never work on the mod again. Some mods may also not be necessary anymore.

I’ve prepared for 1.13 in my mod, and it should take me less that half an hour to fully update it for 1.12.2 to 1.13, every other Modder should be (and most are) preparing the same way.

ALL THESE NUMBERS ARE ESTIMATES BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND VERY FEW ACTUAL FACTS!

As Lex said

5 hours ago, LexManos said:

We are currently working on 1.13.0, however, once that's done. 1.13.1 is a rather small update and will be released directly afterwords. Again, we are working on the toolchain re-writes first. 

Right now the stumbeing block is Ama.. I've been waiting for a week for him to sit down and atleast spec out the Userdev side of things but he likes to not communicate. 

Things are progressing on the other side tho. The installer is re-written to do install time deobfusication and other tasks. Forge now loads in the official launcher with our changes, and the new modloader system. A large chunk of our patches have been reviewed and reapplied. You can keep an eye on our progress on our Forge Githuband ForgeGradle Github

Edited by Cadiboo
  • Like 2

About Me

Spoiler

On 10/6/2018 at 4:47 AM, Cadiboo said:

Rewriting .lang to .json: 5 mins (10 mins if you do it all by hand, 2 mins if you use a tool to do it, 15 secs if your already prepared for it)

https://github.com/ichttt/MCLang2Json

• Like 3

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

6 hours ago, larsgerrits said:

Thats the one! I couldn't find the link

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

3 hours ago, MrChoke said:

What if I pulled down the 1.13pre branch right now?  Would it even build yet?  Can I see the converted 1.13 code?  And last question,  do you guys need any help finishing it?

You would be able to work on it, I think so, yes, not exactly needed but likely appreciated & you will get a feel for how Forge works by working on it

• Thanks 1

About Me

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

I find it is still annoying that we are just told that it is being worked on with not much else. I would like to know how close we are to getting it. I don't understand code so I can't tell with the pre-release thing and that checklist Cadiboo at the end hasn't added any ticks in over a month now. I do wish to know when it will be done since it has been months still. I feel they aren't any closer to finishing Forge 1.13

1 hour ago, FormSans said:

I find it is still annoying that we are just told that it is being worked on with not much else.

What are they supposed to Tweet out everything they finish and every bug they find? That would just take more time out of development. You don't see game development companies tell you about everything they implement into their new game now do you?

I feel they aren't any closer to finishing Forge 1.13

They have literally just added to the src on github 2 days ago. And the Forge Gradle 3 days ago. So they are definitely closer.

I do wish to know when it will be done since it has been months still.

Judging based on this

On 10/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, LexManos said:

Right now the stumbeing block is Ama.. I've been waiting for a week for him to sit down and atleast spec out the Userdev side of things but he likes to not communicate. 

Things are progressing on the other side tho. The installer is re-written to do install time deobfusication and other tasks. Forge now loads in the official launcher with our changes, and the new modloader system. A large chunk of our patches have been reviewed and reapplied. You can keep an eye on our progress on our Forge Github and ForgeGradle Github

We might just be waiting on Ama, or maybe the devs have gotten tired of waiting and took on that job themselves. In either case it shouldn't be much longer before 1.13 forge is out.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

I think Forge attempted a build this week, it failed but it proves they are very close to being done

About Me

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

We might just be waiting on Ama, or maybe the devs have gotten tired of waiting and took on that job themselves.

Ya, sadly it was the latter. So I spent a week or so re-writing everything he has done and getting it working.

FG is functional, it needs some quality of life stuff, but it's done enough where I am back working on patch updates in Forge.

Now my job is working through the massive crapton of patches that Forge has. My current 'old' directory:

cb7a867a47.png

I think Forge attempted a build this week, it failed but it proves they are very close to being done

b052d02fc7.png

Forge is building fine. I finished that up last week. We just arnt publishing to the main download page because we don't want end users downloading things yet. As it's still being worked on.

As for other things, cpw has work to do on ModLauncher/FML stuff. And he won't have time to work on that until chirstmas vacation because of real work.

But, he is being kind enough to take time out from having with his kids for christmas to do some work on Forge.

So Ya... things are being done, you can see what what is being done by watching the git repos. Things are out far enough where modders can start testing things.

Giga has some stuff to do to make the MDK a bit more userfiendly.

Stuff is progressing, and we're not hiding it. There is no ETA or percentage complete because those are literally impossible to calculate because we are working on things as they come up.

• Like 2

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

8 minutes ago, LexManos said:

But, he is being kind enough to take time out from having with his kids for christmas to do some work on Forge. 

I wish I could thank him in person.

19 minutes ago, LexManos said:

Ya, sadly it was the latter. So I spent a week or so re-writing everything he has done and getting it working.

That sucks, is he just kinda MIA or do you know that they are dealing with something?

20 minutes ago, LexManos said:

G is functional

Fantastic, I'm gonna take a look at that once I have time.

20 minutes ago, LexManos said:

Now my job is working through the massive crapton of patches that Forge has. My current 'old' directory:

I'm sorry.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Thank you for answering. Because I do not understand that code as much, it still looked like it might be a year away. Thank you all for helping me understand that it is nearly close. And I do hope the people at Forge do get some holiday time for themselves and their family. I can't wait until I can mod my minecraft up to the latest version. Early Merry Christmas to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excerpt from the most recent official statement:

As for all of you guys hounding for ETA's instead of searching for yourself

and finding the progress: Remember, Forge and most of it's tools are open source,

on GitHub. You can see everything in progress as it's happening. You'll want to

pay attention to the 1.13-pre branch, and patches_old directory:

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/tree/1.13-pre/patches_old/minecraft/net/minecraft

All of those files still need to be ported.

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

• 2 weeks later...