can FBX or OBJ be used for mob models ?

monkeybee

hi there ive only just gotten in to modding and coding ive only done lua scripts to this point and even after 12 years im still bad at it 
but the qustion is is there a way to use OBJ or FBX for my minecraft mod mob models ?
ive seen over and over a gen that OBJ files can be used for blocks and items but some 1 told me to use OBJ for a mob model ive got to "write code to use forge's obj models for mobs though." 
im using google blocks to make these moddels bc its a fun way to do it im able to export the models as a obj OR a FBX im not able to find anything on the interner about using FBX for minecraft modding tho 

Yes it can be done, It's a bit complicated though. I believe it will involve custom TextureStitching, custom ModelLoading (maybe custom Model Parsing? I've never heard of FBX models before) and likely custom Model Rendering (likely directly interacting with the BufferBuilder). If you're using these models just because they're easy to create take a look at http://blockbench.net.

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

1 minute ago, Cadiboo said:

Yes it can be done, It's a bit complicated though. I believe it will involve custom TextureStitching, custom ModelLoading (maybe custom Model Parsing? I've never heard of FBX models before). If your using it just because they're easy to create take a look at http://blockbench.net.

not so much easyer as google blocks dosent have a left handed mode but its more fun then just using a mouse and keybord https://vr.google.com/blocks/

as far as me know the only way to export models from google blocks is by publishing them to google poly

(my model has no textuers bc im still lurning the program and atm me think u can only colour the side of a "cube" not give it a textuer map inside the modler this coud be wrong tho )
https://poly.google.com/view/dsLpXGLYiQY

I don't know about FBX but OBJ is a pretty straightforward format. It is easy to write a parser and a vertex uploader for an obj model. Something kinda like I did here

6 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

If your using it just because they're easy to create take a look at http://blockbench.net.

The OP wants to render mob models, not block/item models though.

28 minutes ago, monkeybee said:

is there a way to use OBJ or FBX for my minecraft mod mob models ?

While it is possible to use an item/block model for an entity model it is impractical. Animating it for example would be a nightmare.

I also have no idea what you are talking about with this

7 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

I believe it will involve custom TextureStitching

You don't need to stitch anything for rendering an entity.

13 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

The OP wants to render mob models

1124500302_ScreenShot2018-09-28at12_47_48am.png.fd067dea45be1c0855a6b90bfb2d4b59.png

15 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

While it is possible to use an item/block model for an entity model it is impractical. Animating it for example would be a nightmare.

I've loaded my own (JSON) models and used them for an entity (with position & motion based animation) here

15 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

You don't need to stitch anything for rendering an entity.

If your adding (JSON) models without a block or item attached to them it's my experience that you need to add their textures to the texture atlas

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

1 minute ago, Cadiboo said:

1124500302_ScreenShot2018-09-28at12_47_48am.png.fd067dea45be1c0855a6b90bfb2d4b59.png

I've loaded my own (JSON) models and used them for an entity (with position & motion based animation) here

If your adding (JSON) models without a block or item attached to them it's my experience that you need to add their textures to the texture atlas

but..... its not json ..... its obj.....(or fbx)

4 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

That is for bedrock entity models. Or obj models. Not a java entity model so no go there.

6 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

Notice how you used multiple independent models there. Not a single obj/json model but a collection of different ones.

7 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

If you are rendering them through vanilla's renderers then yes, you do need to stitch a texture since this is where the game will look for it. You would also need to bind the default sprite atlas. However if you simply have a model that is not a IBakedModel you can just bind the texture and as long as your vertices carry the correct texture coordinates everything will just work.

Just now, monkeybee said:

but..... its not json ..... its obj.....(or fbx)

I realise, You said that 

50 minutes ago, monkeybee said:

im using google blocks to make these moddels bc its a fun way to do it

So I said

30 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

If you're using these models just because they're easy to create take a look at http://blockbench.net.

BlockBench is a JSON model creator that is very easy to use and can do quite a lot. If you're sticking with OBJ/FBX then do what VoidWalker said.

1 minute ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

That is for bedrock entity models. Or obj models. Not a java entity model so no go there.

My bad, sorry

About Me

Spoiler

Just now, Cadiboo said:

BlockBench is a JSON model creator that is very easy to use and can do quite a lot. If you're sticking with

well me mean me coud use a diffront model maker to remake my models after ive done them in google blocks (bc im really just messing about in there for fun in till ive made something that me like XD)

but at the start of this it just seemed like a wasted step if me coud just export it form google block and use the same model file for my mod