Newbie problem

BenjiVok

Hello

I just started learning minecraft modding and I have already found a problem that I canno't fix. I have been trying for several hours to fix it, but I just can't get it working.

The problem is that I have a basic item. In this case a Ruby Hoe. It does show up in my inventory, the name based on the lang file is working the only problem is that it's texture doesn't show up.

(I have added multiple tools befor it and they worked fine)

I hope you guys can help me out. <3

Codes:

ToolHoe.java:

public class ToolHoe extends ItemHoe implements IHasModel{

public ToolHoe(String name, ToolMaterial material) {
		super(material);
		setUnlocalizedName(name);
		setRegistryName(name);
		setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.TOOLS);

ModItems.ITEMS.add(this);

}

@Override
	public void registerModels() {
		Main.proxy.registerItemRenderer(this, 0, "inventory");
	}

}

ModItems.java:

public class ModItems{

public static final List<Item> ITEMS = new ArrayList<Item>();

//Materials
	public static final ToolMaterial MATERIAL_RUBY = EnumHelper.addToolMaterial("material_ruby", 3, 2500, 15.0f, 10.0f, 22);

//Items
	public static final Item RUBY = new ItemBaseMaterial("ruby");
	public static final Item OBSIDIAN_INGOT = new ItemBaseMaterial("obsidian_ingot");

//Tools
	public static final ItemSword RUBY_SWORD = new ToolSword("ruby_sword", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemSpade RUBY_SPADE = new ToolSpade("ruby_spade", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemPickaxe RUBY_PICKAXE = new ToolPickaxe("ruby_pickaxe", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemHoe RUBY_HOE = new ToolHoe("ruby_hoe", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	//public static final ItemAxe RUBY_AXE = new ToolAxe("ruby_axe", MATERIAL_RUBY);

}

ruby_hoe.json

{
    "parent": "item/handheld",
    "textures": {
        "layer0": "fm:items/ruby_hoe"
    }
}

The texture png is called: ruby_hoe.png and it's in the right folder.

PS.: The Axe is commented because it crashes the launcher. If you have any idea why I would be happy not to open another topic (same file code only the tools are not the same and the ItemHoe -> ItemSword).

Thank you in advance!
Benji

8 minutes ago, BenjiVok said:

registerModels

You never call this (based on the code you posted).

IHasModel

Code Style Issue #3

You do not need this at all ever. All items need models and none of the information required to register one is private.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

IHasModel

IHasModel is stupid. All items need models, all of them, no exceptions. Nothing that is required by model registration is private to your item class either. Just register the model in the ModelRegistryEvent directly.

9 minutes ago, BenjiVok said:

ModItems.ITEMS.add(this);

This line screams "I was initialized in a static initializer!". Don't use static initializers. Instantinate your stuff directly in the RegistryEvent.Register. Like this. Not only is this the correct way of registering and instantinating stuff it also shortens your code to a 33% of what it used to be.

10 minutes ago, BenjiVok said:

public static final Item RUBY = new ItemBaseMaterial("ruby");
	public static final Item OBSIDIAN_INGOT = new ItemBaseMaterial("obsidian_ingot");

//Tools
	public static final ItemSword RUBY_SWORD = new ToolSword("ruby_sword", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemSpade RUBY_SPADE = new ToolSpade("ruby_spade", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemPickaxe RUBY_PICKAXE = new ToolPickaxe("ruby_pickaxe", MATERIAL_RUBY);
	public static final ItemHoe RUBY_HOE = new ToolHoe("ruby_hoe", MATERIAL_RUBY);

See above. Don't use static initializers. Ever.

11 minutes ago, BenjiVok said:

"layer0": "fm:items/ruby_hoe"

fm is a terrible modid. Modids can be up to 64 characters long. Use those characters.

11 minutes ago, BenjiVok said:

The Axe is commented because it crashes the launcher.

No it doesn't. it crashes the game. Not the launcher. There is a big difference.

It most likely does that because you are using a wrong super constructor invocation. The one that only takes in the ToolMaterial will crash the game since it does a lookup in an array by the material's index. And since the array isn't big enough it crashes the game. Use the other constructor, the one that takes 2 additional floats. But what do I know. You've never posted the code for the Axe, or the crash report.

Apart from that we need the debug.log to figure out the problem. The log will have an error message telling you what exactly is wrong.