While we wait for Forge for Minecraft 1.13, let's talk favorite mods

Thunderstudent

I know I'm getting a bit impatient and a lot of you must be as well. So instead of bugging the developers, how about we talk about our favorite mods for Minecraft so far, any version from first release up to 1.12.2. My favorites are the Ice and Fire and NetherEX mods. The first adds more dragons than just the one that lives in The End and it adds so many new items, blocks and lets you train a dragon to ride on! It also adds a bunch of other mobs based on legendary creatures and beings. The NetherEX adds so much to the Nether, no mobs, new biomes, new ores, a version of the Pigmen called "Pigtificates", new items, Now the Nether isn't so freaking boring. It gives you a reason to go back besides needing more Blaze Rods. Although I could due without the Spore Creepers.

So tell me about your favorite mod or mods. Let's pass the time together and before you know it we'll be surprised by not only 1.13 but with 1.13.1. Because time flies when you're having fun.

Welll, I'm ajust your very basic builder so i dont have a lot of imagination for fancy things. I build mostly cities and large structures like full scall star destroyers ( small ones ) which dont use a lot of intricate wiring or anything so mostly, to be honest, the mods that help me the most are:

World Edit (  Spigot )

Forge

Liteloader

Voxel Map

DaFlight

NEI/JEI

SEUS

Optifine

I have only dipped a toe into mods, myself.  I am a miner, it seems, who dabbles in building and does lots of exploring.  I am waiting only somewhat patiently for Forge for 1.13 mainly because I hate noting down map coordinates.  So I need a mapping tool - my favorite is Xaeros' world map and minimap.  I also like to fool around with the physical appearance of the things in my worlds.  So I like texture packs and Optifine and SEUS and a couple of esthetic texture mods.

Interesting thread, gives me lots of things to explore myself!

11 hours ago, grownupgamer said:

I have only dipped a toe into mods, myself.  I am a miner, it seems, who dabbles in building and does lots of exploring.  I am waiting only somewhat patiently for Forge for 1.13 mainly because I hate noting down map coordinates.  So I need a mapping tool - my favorite is Xaeros' world map and minimap.  I also like to fool around with the physical appearance of the things in my worlds.  So I like texture packs and Optifine and SEUS and a couple of esthetic texture mods.

Interesting thread, gives me lots of things to explore myself!

Speaking of Xaeros Mods i need to give up of WorldMap after i update my AMD graphic drivers (to solve this issue) when i tried to run Minecraft a weird crash happens and talking with Xaeros he said the fault was of the newest driver not "compressing" the textures right (O.o).

Since its a closed source mod i cant even know if he follows good programming practices or is hacking a hell out around to make his mod work, because i never had this kind of issue with modded Minecraft before.

I'll share, since it is killing me playing 1.13 without what i consider my essentials.  I'm a vanilla tech player, but after so many years of playing there are certain mods I can't live without, and wish they were part of the game:

-Bounding Box Outline for wither skeleton farm marking/creation

-Village Marker for seeing to it your stacked iron farms are building properly

-BetterPVP to see creatures health at a glance.  Great way to spot a low health villager, or know if things are getting damaged during transportation

-Inventory Tweaks:  100% essential mod, I hate the game without it now.  Time is precious, and a well sorted inventory/chest makes me happy.  I'm itchy without this mod haha

-Light Level Overlay (reloaded): 100% light caves and surfaces without wasting too many torches, and easily spot those areas that need more attention.  I miss my F4 button almost as much as middle click sorting with Invtweaks

-TapeMouse:  easier to use than actual tape, and lets you keep using the PC while afking in the background. I've since found a nice windows mini script/program written explicitly for MC that does the same thing, allowing auto button manipulation while working elsewhere on your PC.  But setting it up via command is easier

Others that are not as critical, but still use are Sound Physics + ambient sounds, WorldDownload, Optifine, World Edit, and schematica

I wish we had a forge 1.13 progress bar to cheer on :)

• Like 1

I like vanilla gameplay, so I don't install mods that add features like new entities, etc. I use quality of life mods:

DaFlight (for creative mode: plans, videos, etc)

Inventory Tweaks

Optifine

Shulker Box Viewer

WorldEdit

WorldEdit CUI

Xaeros Mini/World Map

I'll be adding Light Level Overlay, Schematica, Village Marker, and maybe Better PvP. (I don't PvP but if it shows mob health it'll be a big help.)

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:59 PM, vpontin said:

Speaking of Xaeros Mods i need to give up of WorldMap after i update my AMD graphic drivers (to solve this issue) when i tried to run Minecraft a weird crash happens and talking with Xaeros he said the fault was of the newest driver not "compressing" the textures right (O.o).

Since its a closed source mod i cant even know if he follows good programming practices or is hacking a hell out around to make his mod work, because i never had this kind of issue with modded Minecraft before.

Heh.  To be fair, AMD isn't all that open about its projects, either!  And AMD makes plenty of profit off its cards.  Your game crashes, trying to use the latest drivers?  I also have both Intel and AMD graphics options, and I briefly tried to figure out how to switch graphics, but decided *AMD* was not worth it.  I really find I hate exploring "blind," and Xaeros' mods always seemed to work well, for me.  So I guess I'll stay with them. 

BTW, I got a 1.13. *1* update for Minecraft a week or so ago.  Oh, I'm sure THAT won't bother any of the Forge coding progress at all.  ..... Sigh.

34 minutes ago, grownupgamer said:

Heh.  To be fair, AMD isn't all that open about its projects, either!  And AMD makes plenty of profit off its cards.  Your game crashes, trying to use the latest drivers?  I also have both Intel and AMD graphics options, and I briefly tried to figure out how to switch graphics, but decided *AMD* was not worth it.  I really find I hate exploring "blind," and Xaeros' mods always seemed to work well, for me.  So I guess I'll stay with them. 

BTW, I got a 1.13. *1* update for Minecraft a week or so ago.  Oh, I'm sure THAT won't bother any of the Forge coding progress at all.  ..... Sigh.

Well WorldMap wasnt so important for me anyway (Minimap otherwise is essential - but in fairplay mode - and no other alternative approaches in vanilla look and feel).

About 1.13.1 i think Forge will backport .1 bugfixes back to 1.13 builds for a while just like they did before (1.8 to 1.12).

• Like 1

@vpontin, you got my curiosity piqued, so I went and looked around at drivers.  Are you running Windows 10?  If so, you can go to System/Graphics Settings/Graphics Performance Preference and set specific applications, to use specific graphic options.  I never got to the point where I could get the game itself to use the AMD card, myself, so I don't know how helpful this is, but it may be an avenue to look into.

Yep, minimap is the most vital of the pair from Xaeros, I agree.  (I am mostly a SSP player)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Xaeros stuff definitely the first.

- Second Forestry, Botania and Natura (MC fauna is just so boring without :D and I love my beehives).

- Third would be MCA. I can't stand the look of the vanilla villagers. And I like the MCA villagers can deliver a punch and keep themselves save from those mobs running around.

- Finally Visecraft (me needs to be airborne :D) and my own mods

Edited by Torojima
:P killing typos

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

28 minutes ago, Torojima said:

I can't stand the look of the vanilla villagers.

They'll tackle this in the 1.14 update.

Edited by larsgerrits
  • Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

On 10/2/2018 at 4:31 AM, larsgerrits said:

They'll tackle this in the 1.14 update.

Along with the horribly ugly village buildings

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Basic conviences that I take into vanilla servers vs. actual content make me more unsure.

-  Vanilla+ -

- Applecore/Skin

- Journeymap

- Minetweeks

- JEI

- CTM

- HWYLA + Whalia Harvestability

- ClearSpam

- FoamFix

- BetterFPS

- Optifine

- Content Mods - 

- FTB Basics (EnderIO, MFR, Big/Extreme Reactors, ETC)

- Vamperism

- MCA

On 9/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, DeBugger said:

One of my favourite wizard/magic-mods is called Witchery. Sadly the development stops at 1.7.10?

Other mods I like are

- Thaumcraft

- Immersive Engineering

- Applied Energistics 2

- Tinkers Construct/Armory

- NEI

- JEI

- so many more?

DeBugger

I know it's a late post but you're in luck, there is actually a team of people that are working on a spiritual successor of Witchery, including most if not all of the previous features while expanding upon it.

interesting. i read lists above... and of 50 mods i have installed, i share NOTHING with above posters (ok, i share FoamFix and BetterFPS with one guy but those shouldn't really count).

guys, try antique atlas instead of those minimaps - it's realistic and comfortable to use (also only wusses use mob radars).

try lumen - it really adds life to the game, even though i disabled several things from it.

for some quality of life, carry on is a must. i also use bottled milk, freelook (for elytra), bibliocraft (toolracks, bookshelves...).
for more crops, try sushimod, simple corn. i'm evaluating rustic, might keep it.

for more mobs, familiar fauna and mystical wildlife. for biomes, novam terram.

for automation, i only have expanded industry. it's all you need, trust me.

for exploration mcdisc (to add more discs with songs of my choosing)

for building, earthworks (because everyone needs thatch roofs; i recommend disabling slate in config)

for fixing villages a little, Configuable_Villagers_to_Door_Ratio.

for fixing food, nutrition, it's awesome (i prefer it to both spice of life and spice of life carrot; but you need one of the three).

various others like swingthroughgrass, entity spring, totem expansion, quark (for small stuff, nothing fancy)...

most importantly couple of mine own, but let's skip that.

tinkers construct along with pewter which integrates thaumcraft botania and astral sorcery into tinkers construct i also use the classic combat mod and i use a minimap mod forgot the name of it though along with too many items and what am i looking at that just names a few i love

Edited by foxyyxof

OMG where do i begin XD I am a builder and collector, so i need these mods! Entire list is 1.12.2 or otherwise stated. 

-Journeymap

-BiomesOPlenty

-Optifine(for shaders and because i use way too many mods XD)

-Natura

-ExtraBiomesXL(1.7.10)

-Backpacks(1.7.10)

-Tree Chopper(1.12.2) or Treecapitator(1.7.10)

-Pams HarvestCraft

-JEI

-Baubles(for another mod)

-Wings(absolute FAV)

-IronChest

-Quark

Edited by gamerfrompopstar