How to retrieve the size of a model part

GiantNuker

I am trying to build off of iChun's Mob Dismemberment mod, so it can include any mob, and I am running into a few problems.

First off, I need to know how big a model box is when rendered, because of sizing problems. For instance, Ghasts models are enlarged a ton and I end up with this when i kill them.2018-08-23_17_45_41.png.6299b51f706c2a6ec0d3031763aeb514.png

The same thing happens to bats, but in reverse:

2018-08-23_17_46_50.png.bf0169b07abf5cdbfe113b66fcf207d5.png

Once i know this, I can resize each body part correctly.

I also need to know the size so I can fi the bounding box. Currently, it does this:

2018-08-23_17_50_52.png.16c4365c0f242712af7b08d10947c7e2.png

If its possible to do, please tell me how. It might not be though, which is why iChun disallowed child mobs in the first place.

Thanks.

I have access to each piece's ModelRenderer, if that helps.

4 hours ago, GiantNuker said:

I am trying to build off of iChun's Mob Dismemberment mod, so it can include any mob, and I am running into a few problems.

First off, I need to know how big a model box is when rendered, because of sizing problems. For instance, Ghasts models are enlarged a ton and I end up with this when i kill them.2018-08-23_17_45_41.png.6299b51f706c2a6ec0d3031763aeb514.png

The same thing happens to bats, but in reverse:

2018-08-23_17_46_50.png.bf0169b07abf5cdbfe113b66fcf207d5.png

Once i know this, I can resize each body part correctly.

I also need to know the size so I can fi the bounding box. Currently, it does this:

2018-08-23_17_50_52.png.16c4365c0f242712af7b08d10947c7e2.png

If its possible to do, please tell me how. It might not be though, which is why iChun disallowed child mobs in the first place.

Thanks.

I have access to each piece's ModelRenderer, if that helps.

Look at / keep track of calls to GLStatemanager.scale()?

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

11 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

And how would I do this? I would have to catalog values for each entity, and the whole point is to be compatible with other mods. Is there any way I could catalog these values inside the mod? Mabe I could get the readings from The body part render code?

Model:

Spoiler

public class ModelGib extends ModelBase
{
    @Override
    public void render(Entity ent, float f, float f1, float f2, float f3, float f4, float f5)
    {
        setRotationAngles(f, f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, ent);

if(ent instanceof EntityGib)
        {
            EntityGib gib = (EntityGib)ent;
            gib.renderBox.render(f5);
        }
    }

@Override
    public void setRotationAngles(float f, float f1, float f2, float f3, float f4, float f5, Entity ent)
    {

}
}

gib.renderBox is the body part to be rendered's model, gotten like this:

public void spawnGibs(World world, EntityLivingBase entity, Entity explo) {
    	RenderManager rmanager = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderManager();
        Render<Entity> entityRender = rmanager.getEntityRenderObject(entity);
        if (entityRender instanceof RenderLivingBase) { // It should be!
        	RenderLivingBase render = (RenderLivingBase) entityRender;
        	ModelBase model = render.getMainModel();
	        List<ModelRenderer> boxes = model.boxList;
	        	List<ModelRenderer> cancelBoxes = new ArrayList();
		        for (ModelRenderer box : boxes) {
		        	if (box.childModels != null)
			        	for (ModelRenderer r : box.childModels) {
			        		cancelBoxes.add(r); // Without this, it renders child models and parent models and turns into a huge mess
			        	}
		        }

for (ModelRenderer box : boxes) {
	        		if (cancelBoxes.contains(box)) continue;
	        		if (box.isHidden || !box.showModel) continue;
	        		world.spawnEntity(new EntityGib(world, entity, box, explo));
	        	}
        }
    }

Renderer:

Spoiler

public class RenderGib extends Render<EntityGib>
{
    public ModelGib modelGib;

public RenderGib(RenderManager manager)
    {
        super(manager);
        modelGib = new ModelGib();
    }

@Override
    protected ResourceLocation getEntityTexture(EntityGib gib)
    {
        Render render = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderManager().getEntityRenderObject(gib.parent);
        return ObfHelper.getEntityTexture(render, render.getClass(), gib.parent);
    }

@Override
    public void doRender(EntityGib gib, double par2, double par4, double par6, float par8, float par9)
    {
        GlStateManager.disableCull();
        GlStateManager.pushMatrix();
        bindEntityTexture(gib);
        GlStateManager.enableBlend();
        GlStateManager.blendFunc(GL11.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL11.GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
        GlStateManager.color(1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F, MathHelper.clamp(gib.groundTime >= MobDismemberment.config.gibGroundTime ? 1.0F - (gib.groundTime - MobDismemberment.config.gibGroundTime + par9) / 20F : 1.0F, 0F, 1F));
        GlStateManager.alphaFunc(GL11.GL_GREATER, 0.003921569F);

GlStateManager.translate(par2, par4, par6);

//GlStateManager.translate(0.0F, gib.type == 0 ? 4F / 16F : gib.type <= 2 && gib.parent instanceof EntitySkeleton ? 1F / 16F : 2F / 16F, 0.0F);

GlStateManager.rotate(EntityHelper.interpolateRotation(gib.prevRotationYaw, gib.rotationYaw, par9), 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);
        GlStateManager.rotate(EntityHelper.interpolateRotation(gib.prevRotationPitch, gib.rotationPitch, par9), -1.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F);

GlStateManager.translate(0.0F, 24F / 16F - gib.height * 0.5F, 0.0F);

GlStateManager.scale(-1.0F, -1.0F, 1.0F);

modelGib.render(gib, 0.0F, 0.0F, -0.1F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0625F);

GlStateManager.alphaFunc(GL11.GL_GREATER, 0.1F);
        GlStateManager.disableBlend();
        GlStateManager.popMatrix();
        GlStateManager.enableCull();
    }

public static class RenderFactory implements IRenderFactory<EntityGib>
    {
        @Override
        public Render<? super EntityGib> createRenderFor(RenderManager manager)
        {
            return new RenderGib(manager);
        }
    }
}

Something in here would probably help, but this is just iChun's base code, I'm not sure what to do with it.

Edited by GiantNuker
spelling

Well, if you just want to do vanilla mobs, it might just be worth the time to go through and get all the values manually. There aren't THAT many mobs. In programming it is good to do things algorithmically but there is also no shame in brute force when the resulting set of values is small and fixed. 

Anyway, just saying you can spend an hour or two and get it done manually, or spend days banging your head on the programming. 

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

20 minutes ago, jabelar said:

Well, if you just want to do vanilla mobs, it might just be worth the time to go through and get all the values manually. There aren't THAT many mobs. In programming it is good to do things algorithmically but there is also no shame in brute force when the resulting set of values is small and fixed. 

Anyway, just saying you can spend an hour or two and get it done manually, or spend days banging your head on the programming. 

I would, but the point is for it to work with other mods.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:45 AM, GiantNuker said:

I would, but the point is for it to work with other mods.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:06 PM, Cadiboo said:

So whats wrong with this, its going to be a painful amount of reflection & possibly a core mod, but it will allow you to make a dynamic map of entity->scale.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:24 AM, jabelar said:

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Even with other mods, you can still cover it manually at least for the most popular mods or ones you get a request for. I think your main problem is the scaling right? So even if there was mods that added 100 mobs, that isn't really that much. And most are probably default, so you can simply code in the exceptions. And you could just allow the scale to be wrong for mods that you haven't got around to supporting. 

Your main problem is that technically you can't predict where the scaling in mods might be added. It could be done right in the renderer, but could also be done in the model, or in pre-render callback or in a render event. You can't even use reflection mentioned above because you can't reflect into other mods especially if you are trying to make it generic for mods you don't even know about.

The only other solution I could suggest, and it would still be a fair bit of work but quite possible to do, is to create a configuration GUI where people can adjust the part scaling for the mobs for any mod they have installed. Basically, your configuration would create a map of scaling factors against all the installed mods' entities. You could manually code the default for any mods you want to support explicitly, but you could also allow the user to tweak them and also user can set them for mods that you haven't coded in directly.

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

10 hours ago, jabelar said:

Even with other mods, you can still cover it manually at least for the most popular mods or ones you get a request for. I think your main problem is the scaling right? So even if there was mods that added 100 mobs, that isn't really that much. And most are probably default, so you can simply code in the exceptions. And you could just allow the scale to be wrong for mods that you haven't got around to supporting. 

Your main problem is that technically you can't predict where the scaling in mods might be added. It could be done right in the renderer, but could also be done in the model, or in pre-render callback or in a render event. You can't even use reflection mentioned above because you can't reflect into other mods especially if you are trying to make it generic for mods you don't even know about.

The only other solution I could suggest, and it would still be a fair bit of work but quite possible to do, is to create a configuration GUI where people can adjust the part scaling for the mobs for any mod they have installed. Basically, your configuration would create a map of scaling factors against all the installed mods' entities. You could manually code the default for any mods you want to support explicitly, but you could also allow the user to tweak them and also user can set them for mods that you haven't coded in directly.

This seems like the best solution