Forge Multi-layer on a custom door: Can it be done?

Maideniles

I had a block I made that had solid and transparent parts, and was rendering all kinds of crazy. Thanks to the folks in here I was able to get it working correctly using the forge multi-layer blockstate.  My question is this...can the same method/principle be applied to a door? My goal is to make a door with a window inside it that has a texture similar to stained glass, rather than just be clear (cutout).  Using a texture with some transparent parts on the regular door model gives much the same result as I had with my previous block--choppy textures, parts look like they are gone, etc. Using a custom model made with cubes that have a transparent texture applied to them gives even worse results.  So is it possible to fix this using the forge multi-layer blockstate, like it fixed the other block? 

15 minutes ago, Maideniles said:

So is it possible to fix this using the forge multi-layer blockstate, like it fixed the other block? 

Wouldn't it have just been faster to attempt this than to make a forum post and ask. My answer would be yes, it should work when done correctly.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Forgive me, i am new to the json scene. When i learned java it was 20 years ago and back then json wasn't a thing yet, neither was minecraft, of course. Lol. I did make a couple of attempts at it already,  but i obviously didn't do it right because my json code wouldnt validate.  

After several failed attempts and consulting with a couple of other modders i know, I thought perhaps it isn't feasible. Which brought me here. How would you recommend doing this? 

21 minutes ago, Maideniles said:

How would you recommend doing this? 

I would look at my previous multilayer model and see what was different as well as explain what

22 minutes ago, Maideniles said:

my json code wouldnt validate.  

means, preferably with the log.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

37 minutes ago, Maideniles said:

When i learned java it was 20 years ago and back then json wasn't a thing yet

Data was though. Data has always been a thing. JSON is just a format for data that's a blend of easy for a human to read and easy for computers to deal with.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

45 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Data was though. Data has always been a thing. JSON is just a format for data that's a blend of easy for a human to read and easy for computers to deal with.

True, true. But as someone who is still trying to figure out how JSON works, I'm unsure where I call the data for each of the multiple models that make up the door blockstate.    Do they get added in the layer values, or in the referenced types? 

Your logs should be telling you exactly whats wrong with your JSON, can you post them?

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

10 hours ago, Maideniles said:

True, true. But as someone who is still trying to figure out how JSON works, I'm unsure where I call the data for each of the multiple models that make up the door blockstate.    Do they get added in the layer values, or in the referenced types? 

You don't.

Blockstates work like this:

1) You, in your block class, tell Minecraft what properties (and possible values) your block has

2) You, in a blockstate file, map these property-value keys to model and texture definitions (or other such values)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.