Creating subtitels

Lexi_Noctura

Hey!

I was wondering if somebody could maybe help me:
I'm pretty new in modding, in fact in programming at all, so a step-by-step or a foolproof explanation would be great!

I'm writing a Mod right now on Eclipse for Minecraft 1.8.9, and I want to add subtitles to some of my items/blocks. So for example instead of just saying "Brisingr" (it's going to be a mod for Eragon) I want my sword to say "Brisingr" and then in the next line, maybe in a smaller size and/or different color "Eragon's Sword".

Is that possible, and if so, could you explain to me how I could do that?

Thanks!!

Lexi_Noctura

---------------------------------------------------------------My code for my Eragon weapons------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

package FandomCraft.init.Eragon;

import FandomCraft.FandomCraft;
import FandomCraft.Reference;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraftforge.common.util.EnumHelper;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public class Eragon_Tools {

public static final Item.ToolMaterial DrachenMaterial = EnumHelper.addToolMaterial("DrachenMaterial", 5, 5000, 20.0F, 10F, 15);   
    public static Item Sword_Brisingr;

public static void init()
        {
            Sword_Brisingr = new ItemSword(DrachenMaterial).setUnlocalizedName("Sword_Brisingr").setCreativeTab(FandomCraft.Tab_Eragon);
        }

public static void register()  
        {
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Brisingr, Sword_Brisingr.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Naegling, Sword_Naegling.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Zarroc, Sword_Zarroc.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Tamerlein, Sword_Tamerlein.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Islingr, Sword_Islingr.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));   
        }

public static void registerRenders()
        {
            registerRender(Sword_Brisingr);
        }

public static void registerRender(Item item)
        {
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));

}
}

2 hours ago, Lexi_Noctura said:

I'm pretty new in modding, in fact in programming at all, so a step-by-step or a foolproof explanation would be great!

This is the support section for those modding with Forge. Help with modding goes in here, however, please keep in mind that this is not a Java school. You are expected to have basic knowledge of Java before posting here.

I'm writing a Mod right now on Eclipse for Minecraft 1.8.9

1.8.9 and lower is ancient please consider updating to a newer version, there is already development on forge 1.13.

want to add subtitles to some of my items/block

Item/Block#addInformation

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

13 minutes ago, Lexi_Noctura said:

BTW, I have basic knowledge if java, I'm just not adavanced in it, 

Then dont just say you're new to programming in general, it isn't clear what you mean.

15 minutes ago, Lexi_Noctura said:

and where do I have to write this info? in my itemclass or in my .lang, or ina. totally new file; where?

For items override Item#addInformation().

For blocks override Block#addInformation().

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

5 minutes ago, Lexi_Noctura said:

that still doesn't tell me in which class, where i have to put it

Yes it does.

In order to override a method, you have to do so in a subclass of the class that defines that method.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 11:30 AM, Lexi_Noctura said:

Hey!

I was wondering if somebody could maybe help me:

I'm writing a Mod right now on Eclipse for Minecraft 1.8.9, and I want to add subtitles to some of my items/blocks. So for example instead of just saying "Brisingr" (it's going to be a mod for Eragon) I want my sword to say "Brisingr" and then in the next line, maybe in a smaller size and/or different color "Eragon's Sword".

Is that possible, and if so, could you explain to me how I could do that?

Thanks!!

Lexi_Noctura

---------------------------------------------------------------My code for my Eragon weapons------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reveal hidden contents

package FandomCraft.init.Eragon;

import FandomCraft.FandomCraft;
import FandomCraft.Reference;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraftforge.common.util.EnumHelper;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public class Eragon_Tools {

public static final Item.ToolMaterial DrachenMaterial = EnumHelper.addToolMaterial("DrachenMaterial", 5, 5000, 20.0F, 10F, 15);   
    public static Item Sword_Brisingr;

public static void init()
        {
            Sword_Brisingr = new ItemSword(DrachenMaterial).setUnlocalizedName("Sword_Brisingr").setCreativeTab(FandomCraft.Tab_Eragon);
        }

public static void register()  
        {
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Brisingr, Sword_Brisingr.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Naegling, Sword_Naegling.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Zarroc, Sword_Zarroc.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Tamerlein, Sword_Tamerlein.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));    
            GameRegistry.registerItem(Sword_Islingr, Sword_Islingr.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));   
        }

public static void registerRenders()
        {
            registerRender(Sword_Brisingr);
        }

public static void registerRender(Item item)
        {
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));

}
}

Eragon is one of my favourite series and I’ve been thinking of making a mod for it for a while. I’m pretty good at programming in general and I think I’m doing pretty well modding minecraft, I’d love to help you make this mod. If you’d like my help, I’ll happily work with you on his mod, but you need to write it for the most recent version only Minecraft.

I’ve already solved the issue of subtitles in 2 of my mods.

I solved it by subscribing to the onItemStackTooltip event and checking if the item had an entry for a tooltip in my Lang file and if so localising that entry and displaying it right below the items name. 

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

5 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

I solved it by subscribing to the onItemStackTooltip event and checking if the item had an entry for a tooltip in my Lang file and if so localising that entry and displaying it right below the items name. 

If they are your Item you should override addInformation in your classes instead.

Just now, Animefan8888 said:

If they are your Item you should override addInformation in your classes instead.

I think that having 1 method (subscriber) is better than having 20 exactly the same methods in each class

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

5 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

I think that having 1 method (subscriber) is better than having 20 exactly the same methods in each class

Use inheritance, also that method instead of only being called for your items is called for every item, it is just not displayed because you did some type of predicate or if check.

Just now, Animefan8888 said:

Use inheritance, also that method instead of only being called for your items is called for every item, it is just not displayed because you did some type of predicate or if check.

yeah, a bunch of instanceof checks which are very fast before I do any lookups or other checks. I would use inheritance but in 19/20 cases my items are extending vanilla ones

About Me

Spoiler