How About the Java 9/10 Support?

kenijey

Will Forge support Java 9 or 10 with Minecraft 1.13? Can we use JDK 10 (yeah not 9, only 10, since the download page of Java presents only JDK 10, doesn't 9)  on development?

I very hope so.(cus compiling got "huge" boost on J9+)

Thanks for answers, forgive me if i'm pointless at somewhere.

Edited by kenijey

I ask "Will Forge support Java 9 or 10 with Minecraft 1.13?", and they say "JDK 8 is recommended" in that topic, which not about my question.

Will Forge support JDK 9+ or not? Because LexManos said that he is working on support for J9 a few months ago. So i'm wondering what's the progress we passed so far, does it support or will it support in 1.13.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, LexManos said:

Short Story: J9 Breaks EVERYTHING related to how Modding works. So having it work on old versions will most likely never happen. But we're working on making it work for new versions. We'll see after that. Just use J8

Edited by kenijey

On 7/16/2018 at 7:17 PM, LexManos said:

However, the re-write of the loading system is to support running on J8+, that includes 9, and 10.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:17 PM, LexManos said:

But again, as Minecraft still targets J8 we have to support it, which means no hard deps on J9/10 features. Hence why developing with JDK8 is recommended.

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, LexManos said:

Short Story: J9 Breaks EVERYTHING related to how Modding works. So having it work on old versions will most likely never happen. But we're working on making it work for new versions. We'll see after that. Just use J8

Well, i got some answers from somewhere, and it's sure. I can use JDK9+ on development, but can't benefit from its new features, and i must keep sourceCompatibility = targetCompatibility = '1.8' in the build.gradle. It's how and explanation for who wonders.

1 hour ago, kenijey said:

Well, i got some answers from somewhere, and it's sure. I can use JDK9+ on development, but can't benefit from its new features, and i must keep sourceCompatibility = targetCompatibility = '1.8' in the build.gradle. It's how and explanation for who wonders.

Funny how Lex said that already:

On 7/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, LexManos said:

As Minecraft is still targeting J8 it is recommended that you use the J8 JDK to dev with.

However, the re-write of the loading system is to support running on J8+, that includes 9, and 10. 

But again, as Minecraft still targets J8 we have to support it, which means no hard deps on J9/10 features. Hence why developing with JDK8 is recommended.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.