Changing the exhaustion level gained from doing actions

Alekseyev

Hey all, I have a question once again:

How would I go about doing the following: I want to have players with a certain variable set only use up food half as quickly. Now the setting, storing, retrieving of said variable via the capability system is not an issue, my problem lies with the food mechanics. (As found in FoodStats.java)

There is no method to get the exhaustion level from outside, and also no check preventing the addExhaustion method from reducing the exhaustion value to negative values.

What I'm looking for is either: a) a way to intercept the calling of "addExhaustion" from outside, halving its value if other conditions are met, or b) some enlightenment on how you'd implement a system of reduced food consumption (while also keeping the original consumption system in place for when the conditions aren't met)

Regards!

27 minutes ago, Alekseyev said:

Thanks for the answer. However... how exactly would I go about doing that? (Taking in the original instance/overwriting it)

Create a new class that extends FoodStats and have the constructor take an instance of FoodStats from EntityPlayer in the event Diesieben mentioned.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Sorry for being so obtuse.

Currently I have this code:

@SubscribeEvent
	public void entityJoinWorld(EntityJoinWorldEvent event)
	{
		if (event.getEntity() instanceof EntityPlayer)
		{
			CustomFoodStats newFoodStats = new CustomFoodStats((EntityPlayer)event.getEntity());
		}
	}

And then the CustomFoodStats class:

public class CustomFoodStats extends FoodStats
{
	boolean isIce;
	FoodStats oldStats;

public CustomFoodStats(EntityPlayer player)
	{
		super();
		if (getHandler(player).getElement() == BioElements.ICE)
		{
			isIce = true;
		}
		oldStats = player.getFoodStats();
	}

@Override
	public void addExhaustion(float exhaustion) {
		if (isIce)
		{
			super.addExhaustion(exhaustion*20); // For testing purposes, will be /2 later
		}
		else
		{
			super.addExhaustion(exhaustion);
		}
	}
}

But... how to actually replace the old FoodStats with the custom, new one?

Thanks to you both for your answers. I think I'm making progress: I used reflection to replace the variable:

@SubscribeEvent
	public void entityJoinWorld(EntityJoinWorldEvent event)
	{
		if (event.getEntity() instanceof EntityPlayer)
		{
			System.out.println("entityJoinWorld: Entity is EntityPlayer");
			EntityPlayer evPlayer = (EntityPlayer)event.getEntity();
			FoodStats oldFoodStats = evPlayer.getFoodStats();
			CustomFoodStats newFoodStats = new CustomFoodStats(oldFoodStats, getHandler(evPlayer).getElement() == BioElements.ICE);

System.out.println("Starting Reflection");
			ReflectionHelper.setPrivateValue(EntityPlayer.class, evPlayer, newFoodStats, 15);
		}
	}

and changed the CustomFoodClass as follows:

Spoiler

public class CustomFoodStats extends FoodStats
{
	boolean isIce;
	FoodStats oldStats;

public CustomFoodStats(FoodStats oldStats, boolean isIce)
	{
		this.isIce = isIce;
		this.oldStats = oldStats;
	}

@Override
	public void addStats(int foodLevelIn, float foodSaturationModifier)
	{
		oldStats.addStats(foodLevelIn, foodSaturationModifier);
	}

@Override
	public void addStats(ItemFood foodItem, ItemStack stack)
	{
		oldStats.addStats(foodItem, stack);
	}

@Override
	public void onUpdate(EntityPlayer player)
	{
		oldStats.onUpdate(player);
	}

@Override
	public void readNBT(NBTTagCompound compound)
	{
		oldStats.readNBT(compound);
	}

@Override
	public void writeNBT(NBTTagCompound compound)
	{
		oldStats.writeNBT(compound);
	}

@Override
	public int getFoodLevel()
	{
		return oldStats.getFoodLevel();
	}

@Override
	public boolean needFood()
	{
		return oldStats.needFood();
	}

@Override
	public void addExhaustion(float exhaustion)
	{
		System.out.println("CustomFoodStats addExhaustion is called");
		if (isIce)
		{
			oldStats.addExhaustion(exhaustion*20); // For testing purposes, will be /2 later
		}
		else
		{
			oldStats.addExhaustion(exhaustion);
		}
	}

@Override
	public float getSaturationLevel()
	{
		return oldStats.getSaturationLevel();
	}

@Override
	public void setFoodLevel(int foodLevelIn)
	{
		oldStats.setFoodLevel(foodLevelIn);
	}

@Override
	public void setFoodSaturationLevel(float foodSaturationLevelIn)
	{
		oldStats.setFoodSaturationLevel(foodSaturationLevelIn);
	}
}

I see the addExhaustion method being called a lot, which indicates to me that the replacement worked. However, while eating does correctly increase my food meter, I cannot seem to decrease it by any means - do you have any ideas on what could cause that?

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:
  • Please do not use the index-based field access, it is very unstable, as coremods and other evil things might add fields to the EntityPlayer class. Use the name based access and make sure to provide both the unobfuscated and SRG name.
  • Your modification to addExhaustion only means that exhaustion will last longer, which means your food level (and saturation first) will go down faster when running, etc.

Alright, I'll look into the names.

About the second thing: If you give the player 1 exhaustion per tick, the food bar will deplete in mere seconds. Using the same thing rerouted over CustomFoodStats does not have the same effect, regardless of calling it with or without the multiplier.

I.e. I have this:

@SubscribeEvent
	public void playerTick(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event)
	{
		event.player.getFoodStats().addExhaustion(1.0F);
	}

for debug reasons. With the original, non-replaced FoodStats, it gives the desired effect of emptying your hunger bar in the blink of an eye. However, after I replaced the FoodStats with CustomFoodStats as decribed above, it ceases to work.

Edited by Alekseyev
fixed part of code for readability, didn't change content

I'm a little embarrassed, now. Should have thought of debugging myself, but for some reason I often forget about that feature when doing stuff for Minecraft.

Anyway, it seems like I somehow built up an insane stack of negative exhaustion (talking 6 figure negative number here), after resetting that to be positive, it works as intended.

One thing I am wondering about, though: Will the player's FoodStats be reset to the vanilla class on every new joining of the world? Otherwise, the reflection triggered by each EntityJoinWorldEvent would loop and you'd get a deeply nested FoodStat under all those CustomFoodStats, right?

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:

Actually, that is a good point. You might want to use an instanceof check on the existing FoodStats before replacing it.

You'd want to make sure that the food stats isn't your own before replacing it.

Of course, this means that if another mod overrides yours in the same way after you do, and then the JoinWorld happens later without resetting it to the vanilla copy, your code would then wrap the other mod's in another copy of yours....

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Yeah, there's not really a Good Way To Be Sure. :\

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

What I did for now is to check if the foodstats of the player are an instance of CustomFoodStats. If that's the case, print a short notification, otherwise proceed as normal and replace it. Of course it's not perfect, as @Draco18s pointed out, but during debugging it did indeed seem like the stats are reverted to vanilla each time the world is joined, as the replacement always takes place.

Thanks a lot for the help! :)