1.12 Multiple blocks using same BlockState

blinky000

IBlockState is a Block/Metadata combo.

So if you have a new block, it will have its own block states.

Please clarify.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Trying to setup for 1.13 by not using meta data.  I would like to have one class with multiple texture choices.  When i create an instance of the  class i would pass the style i would like, and set up the blockstate appropriately.  So i would be registering multiple instances with different styles.

Block init:

public static final YobBlockColumnBase MARBLE_COLUMN_BASE = new 		   	YobBlockColumnBase("yb_marble_col_base",Material.ROCK,Main.YOB_BLOCKS_TAB,EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType.S0);

public static final YobBlockColumnBase OPAL_COLUMN_BASE = new YobBlockColumnBase("yb__col_base",Material.ROCK,Main.YOB_BLOCKS_TAB,EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType.S1);

public static final YobBlockColumnBase QUAERZ_ROSE_COLUMN_BASE = new YobBlockColumnBase("yb_marble_col_base",Material.ROCK,Main.YOB_BLOCKS_TAB,EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType.S2);

i would like to use just one block state using STYLE,  but the blockstate Resource FILE NAME comes from the registryName (or is it unlocalizedName ) either way i can only have one object with that name

Those blocks will have the same class, same properties, and different blockstate files, which will reference different textures.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Considering that the blockstate file dictates model and/or textures, if you were to use the same blockstate file, then the blocks would have the same texture.

You're literally asking to do something that can't be done because you want things to look different, but use the same data that defines their looks.

My thinkiing was i would pass the STYLE as a variable when creating the block, then set the blockstate that way

public class YobBlockColumnBase extends YobBlock implements IHasModel{

private EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType myStyle;

public static final PropertyEnum<EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType> STYLE = PropertyEnum.<EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType>create("style", EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType.class);

public YobBlockColumnBase(String registryName, Material material, CreativeTabs tab, EYbStyleEnumHandler_7.EnumType style) {
		super(registryName, Material.ROCK, Main.YOB_BLOCKS_TAB, true, false);
			this.myStyle = style;
	        //setLightOpacity(255);

}

@Override
    public void onBlockPlacedBy(World world, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityLivingBase placer, ItemStack stack){

// this block
		world.setBlockState(pos, state.withProperty(STYLE,myStyle), 2);

}

myStyle being the property passed in. each instance would have it's own Style on creation.

I;m trying to avoid having to create 7 different blockstate files.  sigh,  if i must i must 

So.

In other words.

Recreating metadata.

I suppose you could do this by using a custom IStateMapper

Edited by Draco18s

I can tell you that it works in 1.12, as I'm using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Note that statemappers are client side only.

(Your ModelRegistryEvent handler should already be client side, of course)

Edited by Draco18s

• 3 months later...

i overwrote the StateMapper:

public class CustomStateMapperBase extends StateMapperBase{

public CustomStateMapperBase(String stateString) {
		//this.stateString = stateString;
	}

@Override
	protected ModelResourceLocation getModelResourceLocation(IBlockState state) {
		YobBlockColumnBase  block = (YobBlockColumnBase) state.getBlock();
		return new ModelResourceLocation("yabm:yb_marble_col_base", "style="+block.myStyle);
	}

}

and in my block this function is called during the register event:

@Override
	public void registerModels() {

YobBlock b = this;
		ModelLoader.setCustomStateMapper(b, new CustomStateMapperBase("style="+this.myStyle));

Main.proxy.registerItemRenderer(Item.getItemFromBlock(b), 0, "style="+this.myStyle);
	}

the block placed is fine, works well,  the block in inventory is a missing texture cube