Help Editing Vanilla Blocks and Items

xTekBlue

You may have seen me on hear often, i am fairly new to Java and i have been working on a test mod with Minecraft to help self teach me like i have done in the past with other languages. I am trying to add a method to the Obsidian block but i have no idea where to start, i have created a class that has the method inside with a Override and it extends "BlockObsidian". The class on its own obviously does nothing but i don't know either where to run the code or what i need to do to replace the vanilla Obsidian. 

Just because you extended the class doesn't mean you've replaced it. Minecraft vanilla (which is immutable) still calls new BlockObsidian(), not your class.

To create any block, you need to register it (I recommend reading the documentation), and if you do as Jabelar says, you can replace the vanilla entry, but this is due to how the registration system works and is not a standard feature of Java. I also recommend learning Java (or at least, some other object oriented language) before modding.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

package xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks;

import net.minecraft.block.BlockObsidian;
import net.minecraft.block.SoundType;
import net.minecraft.block.state.IBlockState;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumFacing;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumHand;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import net.minecraftforge.oredict.OreDictionary;
import xtekblue.mod.init.ItemInit;

public class OBA extends BlockObsidian {

public OBA(String name){
		setUnlocalizedName(name);
		setRegistryName(name);
		setHardness(50.0F);
		setResistance(2000.0F);
		setSoundType(SoundType.STONE);
	}

@Override
	public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
		if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand) == new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW)) {
			worldIn.destroyBlock(pos, false);
			playerIn.addItemStackToInventory(new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 2));
			return true;
		}else if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand) == new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)) {
			if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getMaxDamage() == playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getItemDamage()) {
				playerIn.inventory.deleteStack(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand));
				return true;
			}else {
				playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).setItemDamage(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getItemDamage() + 1);
				return true;
			}
		}else
		return false;
	}
}

This is my custom class that takes from obsidian and adds onBlockActivated() to the class.

package xtekblue.mod.init;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockDirt;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.init.Blocks;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.BlockBase;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.BlockMud;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.OBA;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.OreBase;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.SmoothObsidian;
import xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks.RGBlock;

public class BlockInit {

public static final List<Block> BLOCKS = new ArrayList<Block>();

//Basic Blocks
	public static final Block SMOOTH_OBSIDIAN = new SmoothObsidian("smooth_obsidian", Material.ROCK);
	public static final Block MUD_BRICK = new BlockMud("mud_brick", Material.CLAY, SoundType.STONE);
	public static final Block REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE = new RGBlock("redstone_glowstone", false);
	public static final Block REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE_LIT = new RGBlock("redstone_glowstone_lit", true);
	public static final Block OBSIDIAN = new OBA("obsidian");

//Ore Gen Blocks
	public static final Block ORE_OVERWORLD = new OreBase("ore_overworld", "overworld");	
	public static final Block MUD_BLOCK = new BlockMud("mud_block", Material.CLAY, SoundType.GROUND);
	//public static final Block BLOCK_REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE = new BlockRG("block_redstone_glowstone", false).setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.REDSTONE);
	//public static final Block BLOCK_REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE_LIT = new BlockRG("block_redstone_glowstone_lit", true);
	//public static final Block TROPHY = new BlockTrophy("trophy");
	//public static final Block BLOCK_REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE = new BlockBase("block_redstone_glowstone", Material.GLASS);

//public static final Block BLOCK_REDSTONE_GLOWSTONE_LIT = new BlockRGLit("block_redstone_glowstone_lit");
}

As you can see i have OBSIDIAN registered under that new class i created. My handler should run it like normal but it still seems to do nothing. Im sure im doing something wrong i just cant figure it out still.

This is my registry handler.

package xtekblue.mod.util.handlers;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase;
import net.minecraft.init.Blocks;
import net.minecraft.init.Items;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.crafting.Ingredient;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.world.IBlockAccess;
import net.minecraftforge.client.event.ModelRegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod.EventBusSubscriber;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;
import xtekblue.mod.init.BlockInit;
import xtekblue.mod.util.IHasModel;
import xtekblue.mod.world.gen.WorldGenCustomOres;

@EventBusSubscriber
public class RegistryHandler {

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void onItemRegister(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {

event.getRegistry().registerAll(ItemInit.ITEMS.toArray(new Item[0]));
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void onBlockRegister(RegistryEvent.Register<Block> event) {

event.getRegistry().registerAll(BlockInit.BLOCKS.toArray(new Block[0]));
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void onModelRegister(ModelRegistryEvent event) {
		for(Item item : ItemInit.ITEMS) {
			if(item instanceof IHasModel) {
				((IHasModel)item).registerModels();
			}
		}
		for(Block block : BlockInit.BLOCKS) {
			if(block instanceof IHasModel) {
				((IHasModel)block).registerModels();
			}
		}
	}

public static void initRegisteries() {
	}

public static void recipeRegistries() {
		GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot"), new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot"), new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 2), new Ingredient[]{Ingredient.fromStacks(new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)), Ingredient.fromStacks(new ItemStack(Blocks.OBSIDIAN, 1))});
		GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot2"), new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot2"), new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 2), new Ingredient[]{Ingredient.fromStacks(new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW, 1)), Ingredient.fromStacks(new ItemStack(Blocks.OBSIDIAN, 1))});
		GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot3"), new ResourceLocation("xi:obsidian_ingot3"), new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 9), new Ingredient[]{Ingredient.fromStacks(new ItemStack(BlockInit.SMOOTH_OBSIDIAN, 1))});
	}

public static void otherRegistries() {
		GameRegistry.registerWorldGenerator(new WorldGenCustomOres(), 0);
	}

}

You're setting the registry name to "obsidian". As this does not contain a domain ID (i.e. your mod name), forge adds it for you, based on whatever's in your @mod annotation (I'll assume "xtekblue" for the moment). This means the registry name is actually "xtekblue:obsidian". In order to overwrite vanilla's obsidian, you need to set the registry name to "minecraft:obsidian"

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

@Override
	public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
		if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand) == new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW)) {
			return true;
		}else if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand) == new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)) {
			if(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getMaxDamage() == playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getItemDamage()) {
				playerIn.inventory.deleteStack(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand));
				return true;
			}else {
				playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).setItemDamage(playerIn.getHeldItem(hand).getItemDamage() + 1);
				return true;
			}
		}else
		return false;
	}

Also does this not work, that could be the reason i believe its not working, i want the obsidian to break and drop two "Obsidian_ingots" when right clicked with a "ingot_saw", also damage the ingot saw when right clicking with it.

14 minutes ago, xTekBlue said:

would "setRegistryName("minecraft", name);" not work?

Did I say it would not? No I did not say that.

In fact I said you must do that.

package xtekblue.mod.objects.blocks;

import net.minecraft.block.BlockObsidian;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemBlock;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumFacing;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumHand;
import xtekblue.mod.init.BlockInit;

public class OBA extends BlockObsidian {

public OBA(String name){
		setUnlocalizedName(name);
		setRegistryName("minecraft", name);
		setHardness(50.0F);
		setResistance(2000.0F);
		setSoundType(SoundType.STONE);
	}

@Override
		if(playerIn.getHeldItemMainhand() != (new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE))) {
			return false;
		}else if(playerIn.getHeldItemMainhand() != (new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW, 1))) {
			return false;
		}else {
			return this.DoDropsOB(worldIn, pos, state, playerIn);
		}
	}

private boolean DoDropsOB(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player) {
		if(player.isCreative() && player.getHeldItemMainhand() == new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)) {
			player.addItemStackToInventory(new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 2));
			return true;
		}else if(player.isCreative() && player.getHeldItemMainhand() == new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW, 1)) {
			return true;
		}else if(!player.isCreative() && player.getHeldItemMainhand() == new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)) {
			if(player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItemDamage() == player.getHeldItemMainhand().getMaxDamage()) {
				player.inventory.deleteStack(player.getHeldItemMainhand());
			}else {
				player.getHeldItemMainhand().setItemDamage(player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItemDamage() + 1);
			}
			return true;
		}else if(!player.isCreative() && player.getHeldItemMainhand() == new ItemStack(ItemInit.ENCHANTED_SAW, 1)) {
			return true;
		}else {
			return false;
		}
	}
}

New code and still have no idea why this is not working.

1 hour ago, xTekBlue said:

which caused a crash

Always post your errors when you have them.

The crash had to do with 2 setRegistryName() methods on the same block going to different paths, thats fixed and was not big of a deal. But currently the 

onBlockActivated

is not working how id like it to be and i dont understand why, any idea?

Have you tried the debugger?

debugger shows nothing besides bad checks on chunk loading 

[22:25:49] [Server thread/WARN] [FML]: XtraItems loaded a new chunk [-38, 18] in dimension 0 (overworld) while populating chunk [-37, 18], causing cascading worldgen lag.
[22:25:49] [Server thread/WARN] [FML]: Please report this to the mod's issue tracker. This log can be disabled in the Forge config.

EXAMPLE ^^^

I use eclipse btw

Edited by xTekBlue

That's not the debugger, that's the log.

http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseDebugging/article.html

onBlockActivated

first get your registration working, then try to make your block do something.

Off the top of my head onBlockActivated is called when you right-click the block and is used to usually open GUIs. If you do anything inside onBlockActivated, return true. otherwise return false

For example:

Crafting Tables open the crafting table GUI and return true. 

Heres the code from the base Block.class

/**
     * Called when the block is right clicked by a player.
     */
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)
    {
        return false;
    }

and from BlockWorkbench.class

/**

* Called when the block is right clicked by a player.

*/

@Override

public boolean onBlockActivated(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)

{

if (worldIn.isRemote)

{

return true;

}

else

{

playerIn.displayGui(new BlockWorkbench.InterfaceCraftingTable(worldIn, pos));

playerIn.addStat(StatList.CRAFTING_TABLE_INTERACTION);

return true;

}

}

Edited by Cadiboo
added code

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Still seems to not work, no idea why its not. i do not understand the debugger at all so i'm going to post it on the github and see if someone can debug it properly or if someones willing to show me a video of how to use it thoroughly then that will also work. 

https://github.com/EzGunzBlazzinn/XtraItems

Edited by xTekBlue

I mean i get the debugger its just i don't understand where i need to place break points and watch points as such. I also do not know how to read the debugger correctly. The link is fine and will take me sometime to go over it but a video would be clearer than a few screenshots with limited knowledge/text.

i don't understand where i need to place break points

Here:

On 4/24/2018 at 6:25 PM, xTekBlue said:

But currently the 

onBlockActivated

is not working

If a method isn't working, you need to place a break point in it so you can figure out why.

If your breakpoint is never hit, even when you do the thing that should call it, then your method is never called and you need to figure out why.

16 minutes ago, xTekBlue said:

How do you know when that breakpoint is hit? If i know this then debugging will be easier to understand.

To use the debugger, you need to use the debug run configuration. If you do that, then the execution (for that thread) will actually stop when the breakpoint is reached. You can usually tell because in Eclipse instead of a bunch of updating the information will sort of stop updating. So if you had a breakpoint set for onBlockActivated() you would play the game and watch the debug window and then at the moment of the block activation you should see it sort of capture the information in the debug windows.

Once the execution is frozen, you can inspect the field values. That should be in another pane in the Eclipse debug interface. Then there are special buttons on the toolbar for stepping through the next lines of code. So you can go one line at a time. The difference between the various step buttons is sometimes you want to go right into the various methods and other times you trust a method so want to let it execute completely as a single step.

It's kinda complicated to explain, but should be sort of obvious if you do it and watch what is happening. Also, just look up tutorials on Eclipse debugger as this is just standard Java and has nothing to do with modding or Minecraft.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Wow, that actually helped a lot! Thanks. so now i can tell that 

private boolean DoDropsOB(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand) {
		if(player.getHeldItem(hand) == new ItemStack(ItemInit.INGOT_SAW, 1, OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE)) {
			return true;
		}else {
			return true;
		}
	}

this method is being called but the "if" statement is being called regardless of having a "INGOT_SAW" in my hand or not, meaning any item will call true on this "if" statement. Any reason why.

EDIT: also when i changed the code to 

private boolean DoDropsOB(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand) {
			return true;
	}

this, it removed the block, gave me the itemstack but replaced the block. no idea why on that one either.

EDIT #2: The itemstack that is being added "OBSIDIAN_INGOT" is also not being put in the inventory, ill be using a video to demonstrate below

Spoiler

Edited by xTekBlue

this method is being called but the "if" statement is being called regardless of having a "INGOT_SAW" in my hand or not, meaning any item will call true on this "if" statement. Any reason why.

Well, for one, that's not how you compare item stacks.

ok, any idea why the 

worldIn.destroyBlock(pos, false); player.addItemStackToInventory(new ItemStack(ItemInit.OBSIDIAN_INGOT, 2));

return true;

}

is not working?