[Solved] Cascading chunk-load in IWorldGenerator

Matryoshika

I'm trying to add custom cave-systems to my custom WorldType, however I'm hitting a wall here as Forge logs that I'm loading a new chunk, causing cascading worldgen lag.
Can anyone see how I could be loading other chunks, even when I'm trying to make sure I'm within the bounds of the one currently generating?

IWorldGenerator

UWCave

Edited by Matryoshika
Updating thread to solved

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

I could be reading it wrong (and I'd appreciate the correction if I am), but I am suspicious that the cascading generation is happening when your right on the edge of the generated chunk.

While you're checking that the BlockPos is within the selected chunk, the call to world.setBlockState subsequently does a notifyNeighborsOfStateChange which prods at the six blocks surrounding your selected BlockPos.  If you're right on the edge, one of the adjacent blocks horizontally will be in the next chunk.

At least, that's my take as somebody who is pretty new at this.  If it turns out I'm way off-base, I should probably go back to lurking.

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.
However, even with a flag:0 in World::setBlockState, It seems I was still loading new chunks.

I ended up merging this with my IChunkGenerator, as the ChunkPrimer::setBlockState does not notify neighbours; It was going to end up in the IChunkGenerator eventually, just wanted to use an IWorldGenerator to keep things a bit more modular whilst I work on updating the whole project.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

9 hours ago, Ommina said:

I could be reading it wrong (and I'd appreciate the correction if I am), but I am suspicious that the cascading generation is happening when your right on the edge of the generated chunk.

Good news! You're wrong!

Cascading chunk gen is when you--during a world gen action such as ore placement, structure placement, etc--cause a new chunk to be generated.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

To prevent cascading you need to ensure that you're only decorating at an +8, +8 offset from edge of the loaded world. Here is an article that explains it a bit more; 

I think your stillInChunk() method probably needs to be modified accordingly. But look at the vanilla generators and see where they have the +8 coded in.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

@jabelar sadly that isn't possible with what I was originally intending to do; Create a cave-system using perlin noise. To do so I would have to go all the way out to the chunk's borders.
However, as I've stated, I've moved the code from an IWorldGenerator implementation into my IChunkGenerator, and it is working correctly now.

31 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Good news! You're wrong!

Cascading chunk gen is when you--during a world gen action such as ore placement, structure placement, etc--cause a new chunk to be generated.

Yay!

Er, well, yes, I get that.  I'm quite content with what is is. I was more interested in knowing if the cause (in the OP's case) was the notifyNeighborsOfStateChange call.

As @Matryoshika has got it working to his satisfaction now, I'll happily move on.

7 minutes ago, Ommina said:

I was more interested in knowing if the cause (in the OP's case) was the notifyNeighborsOfStateChange call.

Probably not. But I haven't dug into how that treats chunk borders.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.