Location of Minecraft Forge Download

CloudtrapMom

This my first foray into the Minecraft world.....as my son is interested.  We have downloaded the basic Minecraft with no problem.  We downloaded Minecraft Forge. And we downloaded the first mod.  But, it appears that the Minecraft Forge has stayed in the Download folder and has not moved to the Minecraft folders.  Therefore, a mod folder wasn't created.  I created a mod folder and moved his transformer mod into that folder, but I am not sure where the Minecraft Forge installer should go, or if this doesn't matter.  I realize I probably sound pretty foolish....and I admit that this is foreign to me.  But, my son wants to get involved, so please be kind.  I am trying to learn. 

What you will need to do is

1) Run Minecraft Java for the version you want (eg 1.12.2)

2) download the latest Forge installer for that version (eg 1.12.2), if you’re on Windows you can use the Windows installer

3) run the Forge installer using the default options

4) run the Forge version you just installed from the Minecraft launcher, a Forge profile should have been created automatically but you can change it from the profile editor (it will be at the very bottom of the versions list)

5) it is recommended that you use a separate game profile folder if you are going to use multiple versions of Minecraft (eg 1.10.2 & 1.12.2) which you can change from the profile editor 

6) place the mods you want in the mods folder, ensuring that you have read the instructions listed for the mod (eg some mods require other mods or libraries)