Google Ads for Fake Forge Site

MDW01

This morning I was on my way to minecraftforge.net and Google placed an add to {redacted} it looks almost identical to the real site. Last time I checked forge doesn't have the second domain but correct me if I'm wrong. I am concerned for the younger audiences who could easily download a virus because they don't know any better and it is the first search result. I figured I would just bring it up here so one of the admins would know about it.5a9eacf6f32d1_ScreenShot2018-03-06at8_56_19AM.thumb.png.1b99cef72e3066ef05c3b3a86af91713.png

Yes thats a fake site that has stolen our layout.

Im not sure if there is anything we can do about it. Especially considering they are paying google to be on the top.

If people know of a way to report this to google let me know. I'm trying through my contacts. But yes, ANY site besides this site ( https://files.minecraftforge.net ) that you get Forge is NOT LEGIT. And may be bundling it with malicious software. And most definitly profiteering off my work/you users.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I believe you can report the advertisement to google. You have to prove that you own the forge rights and they do not have your permission to use them and they are impersonating forge. They are also technically phishing which is illegal. All of these breaks google terms and conditions and they should take the advertisement down.

Here is a link to file a trademark violation complaint with Google.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en > Trademark issues > trademark violation form

Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to own the trademark on "Minecraft Forge" due to it's use of the word "Minecraft" which is part of the reason I typically refer to it as just "Forge".

So I can't file a trademark issue, but I have reported the site for viruses/malicious ads. I am hoping someone will contact me, but google isn't good at that part of things.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 6:00 AM, LexManos said:

Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to own the trademark on "Minecraft Forge" due to it's use of the word "Minecraft" which is part of the reason I typically refer to it as just "Forge".

So I can't file a trademark issue, but I have reported the site for viruses/malicious ads. I am hoping someone will contact me, but google isn't good at that part of things.

I was fooled by them once when my computer is really laggy