Adding common behaviour to armor and items

TEXHIK

I' working on sockets mod, allowing items to have sockets and players to put gems in it. Like in Diablo 2 or Path of Exile or any oother RPG with sockets.

The problem is that sockets behaviour should be the same for weapoon/tools and armor. But how to avoid code duplication? Multiple inheritence is not allowed in java, but actially what a'm doing is just it. I need to extend from item/armor AND my sockets class. Adding field with socketsBehaviour won't work, because I need access to item/armour fields. For Setting attributes, etc.

I'm making my own, but for now I only having vanilla copies with cockets. Anyway, will I create my custom armor or not, I will create vanilla copy with sockets. And I of course will do it as a copy, because of possible usings of vanilla armor in other mods.

What you mean by not need to extend ItemArmor? If i extend from Item, I have to duplicate most ItemArmor code, didn't I?

I think, that second will be better. But how to add socket mechanics into both

ItemSocketArmor extends ItemArmor

and

ItemSocketSword extends Item

? I tried using behaviour, SocketsBehaviour, but it can't change Item properties? A feel I'm missing something here, and there is a way to do it over

MycCass { SocketsBehaviour sb;}

, but can't figure out, how.

Edited by TEXHIK

I want to change some item attributes, or give some player buffs. So, as I understand, the main way is to do it through NBT. In otherhand, i want, for example, change base armor toughness, sword damage or bow drawspeed.

public void onSocketInsert(ItemStack inserted){
        if(!isInsertable(inserted)){
            return;
        }
        NBTTagCompound nbt = new NBTTagCompound();
        //calculate properties for inserted item
        updateItemStackNBT(nbt);
        setMaxDamage(100);
    }

Edited by TEXHIK

private int genSockets() {
    //solution for y=1.5; For values below it return one, otherwise round up
    double singleSocketThreshold = pow(E, -maxSockets - 0.5d) * (pow(E, maxSockets) - sqrt(E));
    double seed = random();
    return seed > singleSocketThreshold ? 1 : (int) (2 - log(seed + pow(E, 1 - maxSockets)));
}

This code, I already have - it uses maxSockets property. which is defined in item class and depend on base of the item - sword/bow/helmet/chest/etc. It should be calculated in constructor, as I think for now...

Edited by TEXHIK

13 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

What stops you from putting it on an external object and calling it there?

But how I access setting nbt tags?...

And looks like I missed, that I should change ItemStack instead of actually Item?.. So I can do something like this:

ItemSocketArmor extends Armor implements Socketable{
SocketBehaviour sb;

onInsert(ItemStack target, ItemsStack insertion){
sb.Insert(target, insertion);
}

And I can do SocketBehavoiur abstract. And create implementation for each base i want. That's make sense, yes. Now I'm starting to understand the idea and feel that whole structure begins to form in my head. I'll go working on it now. Come here for report later, thanks!

Edited by TEXHIK

Maybe I don't understand everything you're doing but can't the capability system help here? It is exactly intended to adding "common" functionality including to vanilla things. Items themselves aren't ICapabilityProviders but ItemStack is. Seems like you should be able to make a socket capability.

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/