[1.12.2] Rendering an item with an entity model

Codasylph

I have an item in my mod that can be associated with certain types of mobs and I'm wondering if there is a way to render the entity's model as part of the item. I know you can render an entity model as part of a TESR because that's what the vanilla enchanting table does, but I don't believe the book (which is the model part) is rendered for the ItemBlock, and anyway I would prefer an actual item and not some sort of weird hack, but i'm open to suggestions.  I would prefer to use the entity's model in some way because I would like it to work with entities from other mods if they extend EntityAnimal.

There are no items in Minecraft that render entities in the inventory, so I don't think that's possible. You might be able to find an open-source mod that does that, but I can't think of one right now.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Yeah. I can't think of one either, or I would have just looked at how they did it.  The only thing I can think is that it used to be possible to render a TESR in inventory but that was back in 1.7.10 and I don't think its possible anymore.  Also i didn't really want to make it a block or a tile entity for something that's actually an item.