[1.12] Biome Temperature Adjustment - Please code assist

Sopwith

Hello everyone,

I beseech thee coders, for I have wasted many hours trying to get close to this, but cannot. Please help a poor soul update my long out-of-date mod. I am seeking a single functional example (code preferred) of how to alter the following characteristics of a vanilla biome (no custom additions):

- Change the temperature to 0.0

- Set "EnableSnow" to true

- Set "HighHumidity" to true

For our purposes, let's select "plains" as the biome of choice. I'm looking at my standard @EventHandlers, and wondering what I can do to get these changes for one biome, after which I'll use the same logic to apply to all the biomes I see fit to do so. I just can't currently wrap my head around the whole registry thing. Nothing seems to work quite as nicely as the old BiomeGenBase did. I can see that Biome.BiomeProperties deals with a lot of the same stuff, but I can't figure out how to get it going.

Many thanks.

Since all of these fields are final, you'll probably need to use the registry override system to replace the Vanilla biomes with your own.

Create an instance of the appropriate Biome class (e.g. BiomePlains) with a BiomeProperties that has the desired properties, set its registry name to the same as the Vanilla one (e.g. minecraft:plains) and then register it with IForgeRegistry#register. Since there's already a Biome registered for that name, your instance will override the Vanilla one.

Do this in RegistryEvent.Register<Biome>.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

That is both helpful, and not helpful. Helpful in that I think you are likely exactly correct in that what you prescribe is what I need to do in order to accomplish my goal. However it is unhelpful because I don't know how to do what you've said. Again, since it would probably be like 3-5 lines of code, could someone just write it out for me? Just one biome, people. Give me a template.

13 minutes ago, Sopwith said:

That is both helpful, and not helpful. Helpful in that I think you are likely exactly correct in that what you prescribe is what I need to do in order to accomplish my goal. However it is unhelpful because I don't know how to do what you've said. Again, since it would probably be like 3-5 lines of code, could someone just write it out for me? Just one biome, people. Give me a template.

I'm not going to write the code for you.

Was there a specific part you didn't understand?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

With the help of my professional programmer expert friend, I was able to update my mod as per your basic idea. We basically ended up simply overwriting the vanilla biomes with new definitions. We took the default settings (since we didn't want to change BaseHeight and such) as listed in the public static void registerBiomes() entry in Biome.class (net.minecraft.world.biome), and tinkered with the parts we did want to change. The basic idea, which I'll include here for posterity, is as follows:

(imports to include: import org.apache.logging.log4j.Logger)

public class Main
{
    private static Logger logger;

@EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event)
    {
        logger = event.getModLog();
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    public void registerBiomes(RegistryEvent.Register<Biome> event) {
    logger.info("Overriding most biomes for extra snow. There will be some warnings shown:");
    /*
     * If you want to log all biome names, you can uncomment this:
     * IForgeRegistry<Biome> registry = event.getRegistry();
     * registry.getKeys().forEach(LOGGER::info);
     */
    event.getRegistry().register(new BiomeTaiga(BiomeTaiga.Type.NORMAL, (new Biome.BiomeProperties("Taiga")).setBaseHeight(0.2F).setHeightVariation(0.2F).setTemperature(0.0F).setRainfall(0.85F).setSnowEnabled()).setRegistryName("minecraft:taiga"));
      }
}

I'll note that when adjusting the vanilla biomes this way, FML throws exception clauses when the game is being initialized, but accepts the changes:

[10:20:54] [main/INFO] [FML]: Potentially Dangerous alternative prefix `minecraft` for name `taiga`, expected `allsnow`. This could be a intended override, but in most cases indicates a broken mod.

Et voila. Updated mod.

https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding-java-edition/minecraft-mods/1288273-1-12-2-forge-sopwiths-allsnow-mod-snow-worlds

Thanks for the suggestive assistance.