[1.12.2] Changing the enchantment glint color

Cospaia

I want to change the glint color of enchanted items (like if the sword is enchanted, I want to render the glint in a different color). I'm new to minecraft modding and have a hard time figuring out where to begin looking. Is there an event I should hook into when the item is setup or maybe when it is rendered? Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you want all the glint to change to the same color? Although you can't fully control the color, apparently by using resource pack technique to replace the grayscale glint PNG with one that is colorized, you can change the color for ALL glint. However, the color is blended with the vanilla (purple) so you can't just make it any color. But you can tweak it. 

Just saying that if you want to change the color for all glint in the game and want the new color to be one you can create by blending with the vanilla color, then you can change it by directly colorizing the glint PNG asset.

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Thanks, both of you. I'm out for tweaking all glint. But I want the player to be able to adjust it in-game.  

There was a mod for 1.8.9 that did this, Glint Colorizer, which you can see in action here: 

It would have been cool to make one for 1.12.2 as well, but it might be a bit too large of a bite for me. =) 

I think they are probably using bytecode manipulation (ASM). I see some code that does the same thing here: https://github.com/BoxOfFlex/CynTweaks/blob/master/src/main/java/cynfoxwell/cyntweaks/glint/RenderEffectVisitor.java

It actually doesn't look that "difficult" to code up, but I'm not that familiar with doing byte code manipulation, and it isn't really a good way to make mods. Basically the guy has created some config options for a base color, whether you want it to change "rainbow mode" and a speed for the rainbow mode. Based on that, there is a field for the resulting color, and that seems to be injected somewhere (obviously wherever the glint color is stored/used in the vanilla code) I think in item renderer.

If that is too advanced, the next option I can think of is maybe you can have several colorized glint PNG stored and change the resource location based on the setting. You wouldn't want to do it quickly (like probably not good for rainbow effect) but could still be a user or code-based control. For armor for example, LayerArmorBase.ENCHANTED_ITEM_GLINT_BASE is the field but has protected scope so you maybe use reflection to access it.

Otherwise, you need to intercept the layers somehow. Not sure if there is an event that is targeted enough but there might be. But you could also do things like make your own replacement LayerBipedArmor class and put it into the RenderLivingBase.layerRenderers list. Again though this is protected scope so would likely need reflection.

Or maybe you can intercept elsewhere, like replacing the minecraft ItemRenderer with your own version.

Anyway, just saying that the rendering probably has some interesting places to intercept it, but you need to be pretty good with Java to track it down and implement it.

Edited by jabelar
  • Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

ASM is heavily discouraged. Mostly due to the fact that if you do not know how to ASM you should not be using ASM and this forum won't teach you.

There are many, many pitfalls and some of them won't even be obvious, but which will make your mod incompatible with other mods without you being aware of it.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.