[1.12.2] Help with onUsingTick

Daniel366Cobra

Greetings everyone,

I've been trying to code an automatic shooting weapon recently, and encountered a problem.

My weapon uses an NBT integer tag to store the current magazine contents, and should fire as long as the RMB is held and there is ammo in the magazine.

I use this code:

public void onUsingTick(ItemStack stack, EntityLivingBase player, int count)
	{//Every 3rd tick...
		if (count % 3 == 0)
		{//...get the world we are in...
			World world = player.world;
			//...get magazine contents...
			int magCount = stack.getTagCompound().getInteger("magazine");
			//...if the magazine has ammo...
			if (magCount > 0)
			{
				if (!world.isRemote)
				{
                 	//decrease the ammo...
					stack.getTagCompound().setInteger("magazine", magCount - 1);
					//...create and spawn the bullet, play shot sound.
					EntityGenericBullet bullet = new EntityGenericBullet(world, player, 6.0D, 0.5D, false);
					bullet.shoot(player, player.rotationPitch, player.rotationYaw, 5.0F, 1.0F);
					world.spawnEntity(bullet);
					world.playSound(null, player.posX, player.posY, player.posZ, ModSounds.submachinegunfire, SoundCategory.PLAYERS, 6.0F, 1.0F / (itemRand.nextFloat() * 0.2F + 0.8F));				

}				
				//Small recoil
				player.setLocationAndAngles(player.posX, player.posY, player.posZ, player.rotationYaw, player.rotationPitch - (itemRand.nextFloat() + 1.0F));
			}
		}

}

And for some reason, it gives a weird bug: sometimes upon a short RMB press, instead of a short burst, the weapon empties the entire magazine. That does not always happen though.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

To trace this sort of thing you should use console statements of IDE debugger to trace the execution. For example, with a console statement it would quickly become apparent if the method is being called more than once per tick. The code looks generally correct to me, so I assume that the method is being called mutliple times in your problem case.

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here:ย http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, jabelar said:

To trace this sort of thing you should use console statements of IDE debugger to trace the execution. For example, with a console statement it would quickly become apparent if the method is being called more than once per tick. The code looks generally correct to me, so I assume that the method is being called mutliple times in your problem case.

OK,

So I added console outputs for onItemRightClick(), onUsingTick() and onPlayerStoppedUsing() and caught a very strange bug:

The onPlayerStoppedUsing is never called.

public void onPlayerStoppedUsing(ItemStack stack, World world, EntityLivingBase entityLiving, int timeLeft)
	{
		if (entityLiving instanceof EntityPlayer)
		{		

System.out.println("Stopped using");

}
	}

I never saw it in the console.

Also it looks like it is... unsynchronized? I can't understand why else I could get this kind of messages where it starts firing several times.

[22:11:55] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onItemRightClick:126]: Starting firing
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onItemRightClick:126]: Starting firing
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 72000, 25 ammo left
[22:11:55] [main/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onItemRightClick:126]: Starting firing
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71997, 24 ammo left
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onItemRightClick:126]: Starting firing
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71994, 23 ammo left
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71991, 22 ammo left
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71988, 21 ammo left
[22:11:55] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71985, 20 ammo left
[22:11:56] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [items.ItemSubmachineGun:onUsingTick:163]: Shooting @ tick count 71982, 19 ammo left
...Firing, firing, firing, although I already let go of the RMB...
...No "Stopped Using" message...

I am sorry for being bothersome, but I just can't understand why onPlayerStoppedUsing() is never called.

I'm wondering if the logic for things like isHandActive() are getting a bit screwed up for your implementation. If you trace the call hierarchy you find that the Minecraft#proccessKeyBinds() method will only stop the use if the isHandActive() returns true. For example, you should double check your onItemRightClick() and compare with the ItemBow implementation for example to make sure you're properly setting the hand active in the first place.

ย 

Part of the problem is that an item like yours is sort of a mix between vanilla item behaviors. For example, food consumes the actual item stack and checks the maximum use duration so there is code that checks to see if the item stack becomes empty, but you have a separate concept of ammo. And a bow has a concept of use but only fires once at the end of use. So I suspect that you're not quite handling some piece of the vanilla logic correctly. Maybe it is the active hand stuff. Or maybe the max use duration stuff.

ย 

The other issue is that NBT isn't automatically synced between sides. It will get synced, but maybe not as quickly as you might need for your logic. So you might want to force the sync by explicitly sending an item update packet.

ย 

Regarding "synchronization" though I'm not sure what you are concerned about in your console trace you posted. It looks like the client side (MAIN) detects the firing and sends that to the server which then starts firing. There is of course the problem that you should also see the client detect the stopped using, but otherwise it looks normal to me. What did you expect to see?

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here:ย http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Thank you, I'll try lowering the rate of fire to around 2 per second and see what happens.

So, lowering the rate helped a bit - the unexpected full auto happens around 1 in 5 times now. It also seems to happen almost exclusively after a short click, while click&hold allows for controllable firing.

Also I detected that as long as I hold the RMB, after each shot a re-equipping animation plays. Is that because of the NBT update?

Dan

2 minutes ago, Daniel366Cobra said:

Also I detected that as long as I hold the RMB, after each shot a re-equipping animation plays. Is that because of the NBT update?

Yes.

If I recall correctly, there is a method in the Item class called shouldShowEquipAnimation or showReequip or something like that, override that and return false when all that has changed is your NBT data.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.ย  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.ย  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

ย 

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

ย 

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.