[1.12.2] [SOLVED] Fluid Handling TileEntity (Fluid Tank)

Bektor

Hi,

I'm wondering how I can create a fluid tank using Forge and what is required to do so.

Thx in advance.

Bektor

EDIT:

Some more questions:

• I want my tank to output data to the comperator. The problem here is: I've got totally no clue how to calculate the return value for getComparatorInputOverride.
  • What is the difference between IFluidHandler and IFluidTank and what is the actual use case of them? (I'm used to work with stuff like the energy capabilities where there is only one interface for everything, so I'm a bit confused here why there are two and when I should use which one or should I use both (and how then?)?)
Edited by Bektor
added questions from below to the top lvl post

Developer of Primeval Forest.

http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/datastorage/capabilities/

Without ever having made a fluid tank myself, I'm going to guess that you create your block/item and attach an IFluidHandler capability to it, which will provide methods to manage the input/output of fluid and the fluid storage.

Make a go at it, post your code to github, and if you run into issues, come back posting the logs and link to code. :)

6 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/datastorage/capabilities/

Without ever having made a fluid tank myself, I'm going to guess that you create your block/item and attach an IFluidHandler capability to it, which will provide methods to manage the input/output of fluid and the fluid storage.

Make a go at it, post your code to github, and if you run into issues, come back posting the logs and link to code. :)

Ok, thx. Should be pretty easy then with the availability of an capability for fluids.

Thought a few more questions:

• I want my tank to output data to the comperator. The problem here is: I've got totally no clue how to calculate the return value for getComparatorInputOverride.
  • What is the difference between IFluidHandler and IFluidTank?
Edited by Bektor

Just a stab (2nd question)...but I can imagine a complex fluid handler being like the controller of many tanks (or they can be one and the same for single-fluid containers). The handlers delegates to the tanks when needed. For instance, I have seen huge modded fluid processors (the handlers) that control dozens of tanks of different fluids from different mods. The tanks are essentially an implementation detail in this scenario.

Also Forge fluid handlers exist for non-tanks use cases such as fluid blocks, portable ItemStacks like universal buckets, custom tile entities, etc.

2 hours ago, The_Wabbit said:

Just a stab (2nd question)...

Not really helpful.

Also the point why I came up with the second question is that I'm used to the system from the capabilities that there is one interface

which you implement and you're done, but here I've got two different interfaces.

Thus I'm not quite sure what's the difference between both of them (except for that the one is the capability interface and the other one seems just to be there...) nor do I know

what the actual use case of the second one should be when there is already the capability interface.

20 hours ago, Bektor said:

I want my tank to output data to the comperator. The problem here is: I've got totally no clue how to calculate the return value for getComparatorInputOverride.

You need to return an integer fro 0-15 based on the Block and it's properties. You decide how you want to implement that.

20 hours ago, Bektor said:

What is the difference between IFluidHandler and IFluidTank?

IFluidHandler can be anything that handles fluids (items, blocks, tileentities), and an IFluidTank is specifically designed for tanks in an inventory.

Edited by larsgerrits

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

3 hours ago, larsgerrits said:

You need to return an integer fro 0-15 based on the Block and it's properties. You decide how you want to implement that.

The standard for containers is to divide the current used capacity by the total capacity and floor to an integer.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

4 hours ago, Draco18s said:

The standard for containers is to divide the current used capacity by the total capacity and floor to an integer.

Ok, thx.

8 hours ago, larsgerrits said:

IFluidHandler can be anything that handles fluids (items, blocks, tileentities), and an IFluidTank is specifically designed for tanks in an inventory.

So I have to use both? That would leave me with the question of how my IFluidHandler should interact with IFluidTank and my tile-entitiy and how that all should work with capabilities.

TileFluidHandler is an example implementation of the fluid capability.

IFluidTank is optional, you can use IFluidHandler without it, but using the default implementation (FluidTank) will call events based on tank filling/draining, which you should fire yourself if you don't use it.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

1 minute ago, larsgerrits said:

default implementation (FluidTank) will call events based

Hm, I'm wondering for what these events might be.

7 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

TileFluidHandler is an example implementation of the fluid capability.

Ah, ok. I could just implement IFluidTank and IFluidHandler in a custom class and handle it from there on like a normal capability?, nice.

Thought now I'm wondering why some mods have a IFluidTank implementation and implement IFluidHandler in the tile entity itself...

2 minutes ago, Bektor said:

Hm, I'm wondering for what these events might be.

Look at the subclasses of FluidEvent. They are related to moving, filling, draining and spilling of tanks. Their Javadoc tells you exactly what they do.

4 minutes ago, Bektor said:

Ah, ok. I could just implement IFluidTank and IFluidHandler in a custom class and handle it from there on like a normal capability?, nice.

Yes. However, if you're not adding functionality other than what the default implementation offers, you should probably use the default implementation.

7 minutes ago, Bektor said:

Thought now I'm wondering why some mods have a IFluidTank implementation and implement IFluidHandler in the tile entity itself...

That's how it was done before the capability system was around, and they probably were to lazy to update their code.

• Like 1

Just now, larsgerrits said:

Look at the subclasses of FluidEvent. They are related to moving, filling, draining and spilling of tanks. Their Javadoc tells you exactly what they do.

Yes. However, if you're not adding functionality other than what the default implementation offers, you should probably use the default implementation.

That's how it was done before the capability system was around, and they probably were to lazy to update their code.

Ok, thx. I guess I'm good to go then. ;)