[1.10.2] [UNSOLVABLE] Make the player light like a torch?

Differentiation

No.

The best way to go about this is creating a block that is for all intents and purposes, air, but emits light. And then placing/removing them as the player moves.

And it will lag like a mofo.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

15 hours ago, Differentiation said:

Oh, I guess not...

Thanks though :)

Why did you say "I guess not" when he just told you how to do it?

I did it exactly the way draco said and made the player emit light (in my case I only turned it on when holding a light emitting item, but you could do exactly the same when wearing an item).

See my video here: 

• Like 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

I've also done it. And I limited lighting updates to only move the light emitting block only once the player was a sufficient distance away from it (in my case 3 or 4 blocks).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

5 hours ago, jabelar said:

Why did you say "I guess not" when he just told you how to do it?

I did it exactly the way draco said and made the player emit light (in my case I only turned it on when holding a light emitting item, but you could do exactly the same when wearing an item).

See my video here: 

I mean, I see the point, but teleporting the block to the player every tick may lower the FPS and many people's computers can't handle that.

Can I have a look at the tutorial for this (if you have one?)

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Differentiation said:

I mean, I see the point, but teleporting the block to the player every tick may lower the FPS and many people's computers can't handle that.

Thanks!

Moving the block isn't the lag inducing part, its the lighting update.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Differentiation said:

I wanted to make an armor piece that, when worn, it will light the player up (like a torch...)

Unfortunately, the torch gives light as a block, whereas (in programming terms) a player is an entity + itemstacks in various inventory slots. That's why the proposed solutions involve unseen blocks.

That reminds me, my own to-do list includes a helmet with a miner's lamp on it (or I might do a helm enchantment).

• Like 1

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

59 minutes ago, Daeruin said:

How does Optifine handle its dynamic lighting? I believe they do it purely client-side, and from what I've seen performance is pretty good.

It's client side only, AFAIK. And because of that, it can be more efficient, as lighting (as a mechanic) requires altering data values that are used to validate spawn locations for mobs.

I do actually have entities in my mod that emit light without an invisible block. I will admit it is by far from the best way and can cause large amounts of lag if you have several of them, but the FPS drop isn't noticeable for only a few of them.

Here is the code I use for it. I STRONGLY recommend trying to make sense and understanding it before using it otherwise you can easily cause the game to break an cause large amounts of lag. I do not know how well it will work around a player, but I would expect it would be fairly easy to get it to work. I provide this so you can study it and understand it, not as something you can simply copy and paste.

https://github.com/saxon564/MoChickens/blob/master/src/main/java/com/saxon564/mochickens/entities/mobs/EntityMoChicken.java#L498

7 hours ago, Differentiation said:

Thanks!

Here is source code: https://github.com/jabelar/MovingLightSource-1.12

Note in that mod entities on fire also become moving light sources, so kind of fun to set the time to night and light them up -- and for fun I make torches weapons that can set entities on fire.

In terms of performance, perhaps you should also consider what Draco is mentioning. However, performance is a relative thing and I have the luxury of playing on good gaming rigs and it is quite smooth (you can see in my video), and everyone's computers are getting better every day (just go buy a NVIDIA mid-range GeForce card and you'll do fine) so I'm not sure how much it is worth looking at. 

Edited by jabelar

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

16 hours ago, jabelar said:

Here is source code: https://github.com/jabelar/MovingLightSource-1.12

Note in that mod entities on fire also become moving light sources, so kind of fun to set the time to night and light them up -- and for fun I make torches weapons that can set entities on fire.

In terms of performance, perhaps you should also consider what Draco is mentioning. However, performance is a relative thing and I have the luxury of playing on good gaming rigs and it is quite smooth (you can see in my video), and everyone's computers are getting better every day (just go buy a NVIDIA mid-range GeForce card and you'll do fine) so I'm not sure how much it is worth looking at. 

Thanks! I'll definitely have a look.