[1.11.2] Changing held item upon picking up an item

aetherean

Hi,

I would like to implement the behavior that if an item is picked up, it is immediately switched to be the current item held by that player (and the hotbar should reflect this). I've tried playing around with the EntityItemPickupEvent but it seems like I'm not quite handling the server/client stuff for player inventory properly. What would be the best way to do this?

Here's what I have so far, which seems to work correctly server-side but the client GUI is not reflecting the changes properly:

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onItemPickup(EntityItemPickupEvent event) {
        if (!event.getEntity().getEntityWorld().isRemote && event.getEntity() instanceof EntityPlayer) {
            EntityPlayer player = event.getEntityPlayer();
            System.out.println("Item " + event.getItem().getName() + " picked up by " + player.getName());

if (!event.getItem().getName().equals("item.tile.air")) {
                player.inventory.currentItem = player.inventory.getSlotFor(event.getItem().getEntityItem());
                player.inventoryContainer.detectAndSendChanges();
            }
        }
    }

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aetherean

Ah, thank you!! It seems to work now with the following changes:

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onItemPickup(EntityItemPickupEvent event) {
        if (!event.getEntity().getEntityWorld().isRemote && event.getEntity() instanceof EntityPlayerMP) {
            EntityPlayerMP player = (EntityPlayerMP) event.getEntityPlayer();
            System.out.println("Item " + event.getItem().getName() + " picked up by " + player.getName());

if (event.getItem().getEntityItem().getItem() != Items.AIR) {
                int slot = player.inventory.getSlotFor(event.getItem().getEntityItem());
                int empty = player.inventory.getFirstEmptyStack();
                player.inventory.currentItem = InventoryPlayer.isHotbar(slot) ? slot : empty < 0 ? player.inventory.currentItem : empty;
                player.connection.sendPacket(new SPacketHeldItemChange(player.inventory.currentItem));
            }
        }
    }

If anything seems amiss that I've overlooked, please let me know. On the surface, the behavior seems to be correct. (Specifically event.getItem().getEntityItem().getItem() seems really roundabout but that was the way I could get the typing to work out...)

I originally kept detectAndSendChanges() and also player.sendContainerToPlayer(player.inventoryContainer); as done in PlayerList but it seems it wasn't needed (unless it actually is needed behind-the-scenes and I should add it back).